Its dropped and wont come back up???

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

scoles

Its dropped and wont come back up???

Post by scoles »

As above have a xantia HDI 110 the other day whilst driving i felt the rear becoming harder and bouncier.

When i parked up i noticed that the rear was set fully down as if i had lowered it.

I have noticed the stop light along with the brake style light stays light for a few seconds once started but does go out.

the rear wont rise at all not even when i try to do it with the lever.

The brakes and everthing else seem fine.

To my knowledge the suspension spheres have been done but not the one in the middle at the rear i think thats known as the anti sink.

Which i didnt notice when the car was switched off it would drop slightly at the rear.

Really need this sorted as its my daily runner.

Cheers
Stuart
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Hi Stuart

Sounds like the height control valve isn't, there is a plastic link connecting it to the control rod, you will probably find its either come off or broken. Give the linkage a couple of good doses of WD40 while your there.

Peter
scoles

Post by scoles »

I see is this connected to the ARB?

Also is this an expensive fix?

Cheers
Stuart
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Not if you do it yourself
scoles

Post by scoles »

Hi thanks for that, I'll need to get under the car and have a look.

I take it the rear HC is roughly the same as the front one?

As its the rear that wont budge.

looks fairly complex from that write up as well...

cheers
Stuart
scoles

Post by scoles »

Little update been under the car and took pictures of what i found at the rear HC.

I think its maybe related to my problem.

Where could i get these parts to replace them fairly quickly?

It looks like the small metal arm has sheared off the clamp around the long bar under the car. i am guessing this has something to do with the height.

Cheers
Stuart
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

That happened to mine, I had it fixed by a Sunderland garage and it was quite inexpensive.

The height corrector mechanism needs a good clean up and freeing off/lubricating at the same time as it is replaced.

Resetting the default ride height could be a lengthy process once it is all back in place.
scoles

Post by scoles »

I see, i was looking at removing it as per the guide posted up.

But i didnt see anything about resetting the height mechanism.

Whats involved in resetting the height?

Cheers
Stuart
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

That bracket is - unless I have it altogether wrong, clamped to the anti roll bar and it's position is critical to the height of the car.
scoles

Post by scoles »

ah i see i think your right.

I wonder if some carefull marking of that bracket before removal would allow me to do so without complete re adjusting of the height.

Or does the little rod bolt off the bracket without the bracket coming off?

Stuart
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Couldn't say definitively as I didn't mix with it but one of the members will give you the gen - Jim sorted one out recently, there's a thread on adjustments and the need for increased safety precautions while fiddling with it.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

scoles wrote: Whats involved in resetting the height?
A ramp and patience Stuart.

Not really difficult but a ramp or a pit is essential I find as it is vital that you can get under to adjust the clamp and this means having sufficient height available to ensure the car cannot crush you if it comes crashing down from high.

The job can be done on drive-up ramps with care and a lot of to-ing and fro-ing but it;s a right royal PITA to do it and frustrating.

Generally, a rough ball-park initial position for the clamp is when the 11mm bolt head is pointing more or less straight down as it roughly is in your picture.

In fact, if you mark the position of the old clamp and put the replacement on in precisely the same place you're unlikely to be far out although a little adjustment does make a good difference in height.

I'd do as much as possible, get it more or less at a drivable height and then take it to a place with a ramp or pit so the final adjustment can be done.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
scoles

Post by scoles »

CitroJim wrote:
scoles wrote: Whats involved in resetting the height?
A ramp and patience Stuart.

Not really difficult but a ramp or a pit is essential I find as it is vital that you can get under to adjust the clamp and this means having sufficient height available to ensure the car cannot crush you if it comes crashing down from high.

The job can be done on drive-up ramps with care and a lot of to-ing and fro-ing but it;s a right royal PITA to do it and frustrating.

Generally, a rough ball-park initial position for the clamp is when the 11mm bolt head is pointing more or less straight down as it roughly is in your picture.

In fact, if you mark the position of the old clamp and put the replacement on in precisely the same place you're unlikely to be far out although a little adjustment does make a good difference in height.

I'd do as much as possible, get it more or less at a drivable height and then take it to a place with a ramp or pit so the final adjustment can be done.
Thanks for that Jim, some good info there. I am understanding the linkage setup now a bit better.

I will source a new one from the stealers i imagine and try and remove the HC unit to free it off and lubricate it up before fitting the new clamp.

seems pointless putting the new clamp on to have it break due to a seized HC unit.

Stuart
scoles

Post by scoles »

well becuase of working all hours and being at night school i am finding it hard to get the time to get to the dealers to order the part i need.

Because its daily runner i am looking for a solution to temp fix it for the following week.

Can the HC unit be manually adjusted not that the automatic adjuster has broken off. ie set it to a height other than on the bump stops so i can get the car home?

Thanks
Stuart
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Not really Stuart,

Even if you managed to get it to rise on the manual height lever you'd find that it will drift either to full high or right down low.

If the journey is short and smooth, it is just permissible to drive it very slowly home but I mean slowly and be very cautious over any speed humps or rough territory you may encounter. It will be incredibly bumpy.

Can you not ring a local dealer and ask him to get the part in for you and then quickly pop in to get it when he advises it's in stock? Our local dealer is very good like that.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...