whats the proper name for this please?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

whats the proper name for this please?

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

I want to buy a new part at the auto factors the MOT man says it is a bottom ball joint the auto factors think it is a track rod, but it is not .

it is the ball joint on the end of the swing arm at the bottom close to the wheel on a citroen xantia estate, 1,8 injection petrol.

the proper and correct name will help me identify it for the motor factors.

many thanks in advance
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

As far as I'm aware its a suspension balljoint, a track rod end is something completely different. I would try another auto factors, he obviously doesn't know what he is talking about.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

It's a "Rotule de suspension" if you want the proper name. :lol:
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Lower swivel joint...
addo wrote:It's a "Rotule de suspension"
It's a bit of a "Rotule de suspension" to fit as well :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Nigle if you send me the last 8 digits of your chassis/VIN No.,

i will get you the OE part No. which you can then aim at the factors

regards malcolm
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

actually I was cheating and asking for a friend with an xantia, but I Will pm you his last eigtht digits tommorrow (Thursday) Thank you.

Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

it should be listed as a lower ball joint. I know the one they mean, i ordered some for mine a few weeks back but then it didnt need them :wink:

The tie rod is commonly referred to as a rack end by MOT stations and garages alike.
1993 Citroen xm 2.1td, silver/grey, bowling ball wheel trims, 210k and climbing...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

a tie rod always used to be the rod/arm that stops to much for and aft movement in a suspension arm,

the rod comming from each end of the rack was always called a track rod,

regards malcolm
falling-out-with-my-car

Malcom,

PM sent with last eight digits. my friend conveys his thanks for your help.

he has a mk1 1.8i xantia estate, this ball joint has only lasted a year before failing, I reckon he has been jumping from pothole to pothole in his car, either that or there was defect in the ball joint, whatever the part number it will be gratefully recieved.

I know where it is and how to locate it and that a broken one can only really be detected with the wheel off the ground but there has been confusion at really good auto factors over the proper name before.

thanks again.

regards Nigel.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i know what you mean about confusion at motor factors, as they seem to change all the old part names, but citroen also name components with names that dont seem to have any barring on the actual part,

the price and part No. against that chassis/VIN No. is

Part Number Description Quantity Price excl. VAT Price incl. VAT Total incl. VAT Selection
0000364071 BALL JOINT SUSP 40.63 GBP 47.74 GBP 47.74 GBP

regards macolm
falling-out-with-my-car

Thanks Malcom I shall pass that on.

jesus no wonder no one with any sense buys parts from citroen main stealers. this part costs less than a tenner from the auto factors and citroen are adding more than a hundred % mark up, disgusting.

thanks again Malcom much appreciated.

regards Nigel.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Nigle wrote
"this part costs less than a tenner from the auto factors and citroen are adding more than a hundred % mark up, disgusting. "

maybe thats why the one that is on the car did not last very long,

possibly produced in a tin shed in some back street country (UK?????)
regards malcolm
falling-out-with-my-car

probably made in sussex?? :wink:

Nah i have seen auto factors pulling up to the citroen garage forcourt they use the same suppliers.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

try buying a MOTORQUIP swivle joint if you have a factors near by that are agents, as this brand is a susidury of Peugeot and are made to a good standard,

what you do find is an aufull lot of the stuff sold by the likes of ECP/GSF is sub standerd, im not saying all the parts they supply are as they do also sell some quite good parts,

regards malcolm