How to check coolant level on Xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Biglittlebear

How to check coolant level on Xantia

Post by Biglittlebear »

Hi

This is my first post.
Hope its not too silly a question, but my wife has a 2000 xantia 1.8i 16v
I checked the manual and it says coolant should be between min/max on radiator header box (which makes sense).
But having looked......its a black box with no visible min/max markings.
Can anyone shed some light on this for me.

ps I have searched the forum, but no luck, hence the silly question remark above.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Welcome to the forum Biglittlebear :D

No question on here is silly.. What is silly is making expansion tanks out of black plastic :twisted:

Check the level cold. Remove the cap and you'll see a plastic tube in the filler hole. The bottom of this tube has a slot in it and correct level is when the level is at the top of the slot.

Often, if you fill to this level, you may find it won't hold it and the level will drop to the bottom of the tube. This is fine as many Xantias seem to like to blow out what they don't want and establish a natural status-quo at the bottom of the tube.

If you can see coolant at the bottom of the tube and can't actually see the end of the tube, you're OK...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Biglittlebear

Post by Biglittlebear »

Thanks CitroJim

Just checked it cold using a torch......no coolant visible at bottom of tube.

Would it be ok to top up with ionised water?

BLB
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Short term only, yes. I've a car that suffered from "just topping it up" for too long and corrosion started to eat through the head gasket.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

addo wrote:Short term only, yes.
Agreed. I'd be very tempted to do a coolant change so you know what's in there is good.

Refill with a 50:50 mix of water and antifreeze. The mixture strength will guard against any corrosion in the engine.

Keep an eye on the level. If it has fallen that much you may have a small leak.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Biglittlebear

Post by Biglittlebear »

Thanks for the advice :D

Its much appreciated
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

turn your heater on and sniff for curry/cat pee smell incase its leaking from the heater matrix
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

CitroJim wrote:Often, if you fill to this level, you may find it won't hold it and the level will drop to the bottom of the tube. This is fine as many Xantias seem to like to blow out what they don't want and establish a natural status-quo at the bottom of the tube.
Until I had the matrix replaced, I would have agreed 100% with this.

I'm on my second TD Xantia and both would show this low level. No matter how many times I topped it up and bled it, I could never get it to hold the specified level, even when I added a bottle of K-seal which cured the curry smell. With a new matrix, it's spot on.

Perhaps we've discovered an early warning of impending matrix failure?