I'm A Muppet! Xantia - DO NOT JACK HERE!!!!!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

HDI Dave
My Cars:

Post by HDI Dave »

Nearly lost my hands :shock:

I sorted my handbrake cables out,on the calipers.Unsiezed them/adjusted/copperslipped etc. Axle stands,wood blocks aplenty,well supported.

Whipped out all the stands and noticed summat else (crank pulley - nuther post :roll: )

Went under the car again and thought...it'll be alright..just on the trolley jack,while I have a quick look...

...anyway, in a moment of...ffs,it'll only take a minute to bung some support under it, (so I put some wood blocks under the sill), and,.....Within seconds of me having my hands in/around the driveshaft area...the car sank :shock:

I'd jacked it up on this bracket thing/towing eye/new car tie down thing?
So it dropped on the wood blocks,phew!

Bloody lucky escape,glad I always check the car's supported..even if it is 'gay' ...(anyone with teenagers will understand that this use of over cautioness is gay, apparently :lol: )

So please take care whilst jacking your car,I've been mechanicing (diy) 30 years,but there's always summat can catch you out :wink:

1999 Xantia LX 2.0 HDI 110 Rusteration project...
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

A timely reminder Dave - glad you are OK! I only ever jack / support under the front subframe - or if I have to under the reinforced part of the sill.

Also worth remembering that you should not venture under a hydraulic Citroen unless it is properly supported - the suspension can collapse without warning, and squash you. Which would rather spoil your day :cry:
Richard W
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

guilty of trying that place to jack Dave :D
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Main thing is Dave, you were OK :)

Lovely repair, better than new.

Did the washer bottle survive undamaged? Thought I could see spilt washer fluid there...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

its not just hydralic citroens that can kill if/when wrongly jacked up,

regards malcolm
HDI Dave
My Cars:

Post by HDI Dave »

jgra1 wrote:guilty of trying that place to jack Dave :D
Well now you know mate..unless you like hospitals I'd steer well clear of said bracket :D

Jim, yes it snapped the nipple off the washer bottle.I've bodged it with superglue/fibreglass and p38 filler,topped off with underseal lol.

When it first collapsed I thought I'd done the radiator in,so bit lucky there :wink:
1999 Xantia LX 2.0 HDI 110 Rusteration project...