ZX rear OS wheel rubbing wheel arch

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Keith J

ZX rear OS wheel rubbing wheel arch

Post by Keith J »

Hi I have a problem as described in the title. I have an N reg 1.9 ZX elation estate and the inner sidewall of the tyre is rubbing a part of the wheel arch particularly when the car is loaded. It makes a squeak which sounds as if it's inside the car so it took some time to locate the source. Obviously this isn't right. I wanted to ask if this was a common fault if a shock absorber has failed or is it likely to be another fault? BTW there are no carbuncles etc on the tyre that are doing it.

I cannot see any obvious fault with either shock such as leaks etc but I need to do some longish drives soon. Any advice greatly appreciated on this and any pitfalls on shock replacement on a zx estate.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

The bearings are knackered in the trailing arm pivot. They can be replaced but it's a real 'mare job - better just to fit another rear subframe complete.
Richard W
Keith J

Post by Keith J »

Thanks for the reply. I will investigate that. Cheers.
Dommo
My Cars: Current
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
91 Toyota Soarer UZZ32 Active Suspension
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Post by Dommo »

You'll find that if the rear trailing arm bearings are knackered - which it sounds as though they are in this case - the rear wheels will have a lot of negative camber, so the top leans in towards the car.

If you look at the car from behind at a distance, you'll probably notice the rear wheels looking like this:

/----\

As apposed to:

|----|
Keith J

Post by Keith J »

They look just like that. Thanks.