Xantia Auto Box

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

johnlad_27

Xantia Auto Box

Post by johnlad_27 »

Hi, the gearbox on 1997 xantia 2.0 petrol has given up the ghost. So i am looking for info on what other auto boxes would fit as i have been offered a box from 1994 XM Turbo. Would this be compatable or is there any from the peugeot/renault range that would fit?

Many thanks
John
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi John,

Welcome to the forum :D

Your '97 Xantia could eiter have the ZF 4HP14 if it is a MK1 or the Siemens AL4 if it is a MK2. The HP14 is a hydro-mechanical 'box whereas the AL4 is an auto-adaptive electronic device. The latter will have a "Sport" and Snow" button.

Generally, it is not possible to swap to a different 'box, they must be replaced like-for-like. You even have to be careful about using the same gearbox but designed for use in a different car. The 4HP14 was used in the Pug 205 and 405 but the 205 version (and likely the 405 one) will be all wrong for use in a Xantia. The same applies to an AL4, only moreso..

I believe the 'box from an XM will be a 4HP18.

You say the 'box has given up the ghost; how and in what way?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
johnlad_27

Post by johnlad_27 »

Hi thanks for quick reply.

The problem is it has seized in gear, and as a result of me trying to force it, the cable has snapped. Now the RAC mechanic said it is probably due to a worn bearing and needs a new box and cable.

Thanks
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

johnlad_27 wrote:The problem is it has seized in gear, and as a result of me trying to force it, the cable has snapped.
What? Seized in gear in that the gear selector won't move and hence the broken cable or seized in that the gearbox is locked up solid?

I would hazard that you may have a problem with the Park Pawl so the RAC man might be right, a bearing might have collapsed and in doing so, upset the Park mechanism. The Park mechanism is directly operated by the selector cable and if damaged in any way will cause a seizure.

Normally though, bearings dont just collapse and fail. Normally they do give a bit of warning... Usually by a scream...

You've not identified the 'box...

Whatever 'box is fitted, they are repairable, the ease of which depends on what's failed.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
johnlad_27

Post by johnlad_27 »

It is the early type gearbox, and although repairable it would probably be more expensive than the car is worth. The problem i have describing the fault/gearbox part is because it is my father-in-law's car, and he is only going off what the RAC man told him.