Xantia fuel filter light on dashboard???

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

igor253
My Cars:

Xantia fuel filter light on dashboard???

Post by igor253 »

I have what I think is a fuel filter lighting up on my dashboard, I uploaded an image of what that light looks like. Why is this happening, how can I get this problem solved?

Thanks in advance!!!
tonupteabag
My Cars:

Post by tonupteabag »

if its a yellow light on the right side of the dash i have the same problem it keeps telling me there is water in the filter but i know there isn't the sensor is knackered but a new one is £39 so i unplugged it now its not a nuisance :lol:
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Would be best to drain the filter (and change it) then unplug it.

For XUD engines, I (just my personal recommendation) say to change this every third oil change (so about every 18K ish) or once a year if you do a low mileage.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
igor253
My Cars:

Post by igor253 »

spider wrote:Would be best to drain the filter (and change it) then unplug it.

For XUD engines, I (just my personal recommendation) say to change this every third oil change (so about every 18K ish) or once a year if you do a low mileage.
Thanks for the recommendation. Just tell me how does that filter affect the preformance of the car? After I change it, will it run better?
igor253
My Cars:

Post by igor253 »

tonupteabag wrote:if its a yellow light on the right side of the dash i have the same problem it keeps telling me there is water in the filter but i know there isn't the sensor is knackered but a new one is £39 so i unplugged it now its not a nuisance :lol:
How do you know that? You should change the filter if you didn't by now. Just my recommendation :wink:
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

igor253 wrote:
spider wrote:Would be best to drain the filter (and change it) then unplug it.

Thanks for the recommendation. Just tell me how does that filter affect the preformance of the car? After I change it, will it run better?
Fuel can flow more freely through a clean filter than a clogged one.
Back when I had 205s with the same dodgy sensor, even changing the filter every 6000 miles didn't stop the damn light coming on.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
igor253
My Cars:

Post by igor253 »

xac wrote:Fuel can flow more freely through a clean filter than a clogged one.
Back when I had 205s with the same dodgy sensor, even changing the filter every 6000 miles didn't stop the damn light coming on.
So I guess it doesn't relly have to be a problem, it might just be a sensor... Thanks anyway! :D
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

It's such a useless sensor always giving false alarms it was dropped in later cars.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Xac wrote:It's such a useless sensor always giving false alarms it was dropped in later cars.
Indeed. About the same time as anti-sink came in. Good thing too.

The sensor works on the principle that water is conductive and diesel isn't. It has two small prongs that stick out into the bottom of the filter bowl and these are about an mm apart. It only needs the tiniest of water bubbles to bridge the prongs and on comes the light.

Diesel naturally has a bit of water in it anyway so the sensor is always going to give false alarms.

No worries at all about leaving it disconnected.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
tonupteabag
My Cars:

Post by tonupteabag »

hi igor i did change the filter the first time the damn light came on thinking that there was a problem checked everything dryed the housing made sure there was no residual water put it all back together and hey presto the goddamn light came on hence unplugged it i now change the filter at 6000mls and i have no hassle :D :