Doing a front wheel bearing on an ABS xantia hatch

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

KP
My Cars:

Doing a front wheel bearing on an ABS xantia hatch

Post by KP »

Ok i have read through the big book of fibs and have got as far as removing the caliper and pads, the disc, loosening the strut to hub mount and also the hub to wishbone one. its still on the wishbone and strut though.

However i am having trouble with the ABS sensor. Is it meant to come out easily or is there a technique to getting it out without damaging the sod?

I'd prefer to get it out and then i can get the car on the road tonight when i finish the other spheres, and not have to get a garage to do it now im most of the way there....
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Follow the cable back up into the car and disconnect it at the first connector. You are VERY unlikely to be able to get the sensor out of the hub in one piece. Just be careful when removing the bearing that it clears the sensor - otherwise you will knock the end off it.
Richard W
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Ok will do. it does go quite into the engine bay the connector from what i felt last night :(
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Will,

If this is the front then in my experience, the ABS sensors will come out of the hubs with care and patience. It's the rears that are nigh-on impossible...

Undo (carefullyfully) the 10mm mountiung stud, spray a bit of the old Plus-Gas around and gently tease the sensor out. I use a pair of waterpump pliers to gently rotate it back and forth. The emphasis is very much on the word gently.

It's best really as they are suspectable to damnage otherwise.

The plugs will be found on the subframe. Both are on the bits of the subframe that cant upward at the ends. The RH one is quite accessible but the LH one hides behind the LH inboard CV joint and is a bit of a struggle.

Wheel bearings will need a hydraulic press to extract them despite what the BoL may say :twisted:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

KP which side hub are you doing, as i still have a copmplete front hub with bearing and swivle loint as one unit for an ABS car,

brand new OE old stock, i think it is N/S and i would like 45 quid pluss carridge,

i have found Cost Cutters are agents for a national courrier, and will ship packages up to 10k AND 30 x 30 x 50 CM for i think 3.95 or 4.95,

the sender has to take it to there store then the reciver has to collect from a store at there end,

regards malcolm
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Cheers Malc :)

Already have teh bearing, just need to get the hub off and can give it to my nieghbour to be pressed in as he works on loco's the press's should do the job nicely :)

Will give it a soak tonight once i get home and let it soak in and then can do the other spheres(rear hydractive and ARC sphere) and then have another go at it.
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Its the worst side as well as it has the ram on it which i hate being near but saying that the front ram is slightly wet but not too much and the same for the rear. no leaks so must be a cold thing...
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

If the outer race is an absolute SOD, which is likly to be run a ring of ARC Weld in the race, then as the weld cools it shrinks the race with it, making removal Soooo easy...

I learnt that trick from some guys on here when I had trouble removing an outer race..

Works an absolute hoot!!

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

thats what i have always done on rear arm bearings Paul

regards malcolm
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

citronut wrote:KP which side hub are you doing, as i still have a copmplete front hub with bearing and swivle loint as one unit for an ABS car,

brand new OE old stock, i think it is N/S and i would like 45 quid pluss carridge,
Bear in mind that CT Turbo's and V6's use different front hubs from 'normal' Xantia's Malcolm.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH