XM 2.1TD Auto Box

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Geoff Lebowski
Posts: 114
Joined: 10 Nov 2008, 21:31

XM 2.1TD Auto Box

Post by Geoff Lebowski » 26 Feb 2010, 12:53

As mentioned in my other thread, this XM has no history and has clearly been neglected.

But, perhaps the Achillies heel (to some extent) of the XM, the auto box oil was black. It didn\'t smell burnt, but it was black. It has the oil cooler fitted as standard and so probably hasn\'t over heated.

Clearly my best option from now on is frequent oil and filter changes. But what\'s the prognosis?

As fas as I know it\'s a 4HP18 box!

User avatar
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
Posts: 41564
Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33
x 1052

XM 2.1TD Auto Box

Post by CitroJim » 26 Feb 2010, 13:43

Yep,

4HP18...

Nice and mechanical.

Black fluid but not burned is OK. No worries there. You only worry when it has a burney twang about it.

Drain the old fluid and clean the filter. Refill with DEXRON II and the job's a good 'un.

Not sure abot filter access but it's easier then a 4HP20 and I believe they're cleanable, like an LHM resevoir filter. I can check my books later to confirm the filter details.

davetherave
Posts: 880
Joined: 01 Apr 2009, 21:06

XM 2.1TD Auto Box

Post by davetherave » 26 Feb 2010, 14:07

They are cleanable, should come out ok but may be a bit stiff!

Sid_the_Squid
Posts: 590
Joined: 21 Apr 2009, 15:35

XM 2.1TD Auto Box

Post by Sid_the_Squid » 26 Feb 2010, 15:46

If the 4HP18 is anything like its newer sibling the 4HP20 its only a partial change of oil, therefore I'd suggest doing a few of these oil changes a mere few hundred miles apart, try and flush all that old gunge out.

Make sure its Dexron 2 you get, Dexron 3/4 are not backwards compatible, despite what the guy at the car parts shop will say.

Geoff Lebowski
Posts: 114
Joined: 10 Nov 2008, 21:31

XM 2.1TD Auto Box

Post by Geoff Lebowski » 26 Feb 2010, 17:49

Thank you chaps. Reassuring news Jim! So it\'s a fairly robust box then ? Is it repairable by the home mechanic, oh Autobox black belted one?!

Half of the oil stays in the torque converter doesn\'t in Sid? So it\'s a process of dilution of old with new, hopefully removing the cr@p as it goes.

Davetherave, when you stiff, do you mean that the filer may be brittle or just that it may be gunged up? Are the filters particularly delicate?

Sid_the_Squid
Posts: 590
Joined: 21 Apr 2009, 15:35

XM 2.1TD Auto Box

Post by Sid_the_Squid » 26 Feb 2010, 18:08

Half of the oil stays in the torque converter doesn\'t in Sid? So it\'s a process of dilution of old with new, hopefully removing the cr@p as it goes.
You got it Dude

Deanxm
Posts: 3322
Joined: 18 Dec 2008, 18:57
x 41

XM 2.1TD Auto Box

Post by Deanxm » 26 Feb 2010, 21:19

There is a how to of this on the XM forum if your on there, the HP18 seems much more reliable than the 20 probably due to the fact some wally didnt say it was sealed for life and hide the Filter, as has been said do 3 changes witth a bit of driving between, do the changes with the box hot too just after a run to get as much muck out as possible and clean the filter on the 3rd and final change, the difference in shift quality will be most welcome, they dont like black oil :lol:

http://www.club-xm.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=71

D

citroenxm
Posts: 7814
Joined: 31 Dec 2004, 00:10
x 28

XM 2.1TD Auto Box

Post by citroenxm » 26 Feb 2010, 22:06

Geoff Lebowski wrote:Thank you chaps. Reassuring news Jim! So it\'s a fairly robust box then ? Is it repairable by the home mechanic, oh Autobox black belted one?!

Half of the oil stays in the torque converter doesn\'t in Sid? So it\'s a process of dilution of old with new, hopefully removing the cr@p as it goes.

Davetherave, when you stiff, do you mean that the filer may be brittle or just that it may be gunged up? Are the filters particularly delicate?
Robust, no not if its continually used with poor gear fluid! Thats whats sent so many to early retirement!!

If the gear changes are still VERY nice and smooth, then as sugested do a couple of frequent fluid changes to get it all good and clean and red!

I can go over her with you Neil, when Im down next!

Regards
Paul

lexi
donor 2019
Posts: 2695
Joined: 17 Apr 2008, 17:51
x 97

XM 2.1TD Auto Box

Post by lexi » 26 Feb 2010, 23:09

Ah Geoff............you are a lucky man being able to put that Dexron 11 in there. Dexron should be changed a few times until it is red on the dipstick at any given time.....that's the way to keep it.

I change the Dexron on Prelude once a year along with engine oil (7k per annum)

Geoff Lebowski
Posts: 114
Joined: 10 Nov 2008, 21:31

XM 2.1TD Auto Box

Post by Geoff Lebowski » 27 Feb 2010, 04:38

Thanks for the kink DeanXM. I\'m not on there no..............but will be soon!

The gear change is smooth thankfully, so hopefully minimal damage done and some nice doses of fresh oil should see her heave a sigh of relief! Me too now I think of it, that and the epic were my too biggest concerns!

The car is still down at my mates Paul all sorn and looking quite sad at the moment. Once the Xantia is gone, I have some BX tinkering and then it\'s XM starship away! I may still take you up on your offer if I\'m up Anglesey way though! Actually, you may be able to help me out with the odd spare. Nothing big, but I\'ll check and email you if that\'s ok.

I must say I\'m very excited, although it\'ll be Mrs Geoff\'s daily drive. Well, she wanted an auto, so I got her a big comfy one! The kids will like the vents in the rear too!

Thanks for the help and support, I\'m sitting a little more comfortable now!

cachaciero
Posts: 1399
Joined: 13 Apr 2009, 07:24
x 6

XM 2.1TD Auto Box

Post by cachaciero » 03 Mar 2010, 23:07

Geoff Lebowski wrote:Thanks for the kink DeanXM. I\'m not on there no..............but will be soon!

T
I must say I\'m very excited, although it\'ll be Mrs Geoff\'s daily drive. Well, she wanted an auto, so I got her a big comfy one! The kids will like the vents in the rear too!

Thanks for the help and support, I\'m sitting a little more comfortable now!
Ahh.....! typical XM ploy make the owner feel good then wham! a good kick in the privates, if not the box then we will get him with head / rad / ABS / steering rack / hydractive ECU never a moment to get bored :-)

PS anybody want to swap a clean low mileage 2.1 Exclusive for a C5 2.2 same trim level?

cachaciero

Geoff Lebowski
Posts: 114
Joined: 10 Nov 2008, 21:31

XM 2.1TD Auto Box

Post by Geoff Lebowski » 04 Mar 2010, 11:18

/\\ ha ha! So that\'s how it is then!

It already has an ABS fault (I\'m praying for a bad connector but expect it\'ll be sensor (unless the ABS control units are known to be poor??))

And yes, it gets itself into hard mode when it really needn\'t.

I\'m seriously considering disconnecting the hydractive electro valve and fit not hyd spheres on each corner and have done, otherwise I\'ll spend days and days and days trying to fix it!

cachaciero
Posts: 1399
Joined: 13 Apr 2009, 07:24
x 6

XM 2.1TD Auto Box

Post by cachaciero » 04 Mar 2010, 16:13

Geoff Lebowski wrote:/\\ ha ha! So that\'s how it is then!

It already has an ABS fault (I\'m praying for a bad connector but expect it\'ll be sensor (unless the ABS control units are known to be poor??))

And yes, it gets itself into hard mode when it really needn\'t.

I\'m seriously considering disconnecting the hydractive electro valve and fit not hyd spheres on each corner and have done, otherwise I\'ll spend days and days and days trying to fix it!
Probably not so many days, the problems and fixes are well known and documented and it is nice when it works properly. In my eperience the hydractive II on the XM is far nicer than H3+ on the C5.

cachaciero

citroenxm
Posts: 7814
Joined: 31 Dec 2004, 00:10
x 28

XM 2.1TD Auto Box

Post by citroenxm » 04 Mar 2010, 16:15

cachaciero wrote:
Geoff Lebowski wrote:/\\ ha ha! So that\'s how it is then!

It already has an ABS fault (I\'m praying for a bad connector but expect it\'ll be sensor (unless the ABS control units are known to be poor??))

And yes, it gets itself into hard mode when it really needn\'t.

I\'m seriously considering disconnecting the hydractive electro valve and fit not hyd spheres on each corner and have done, otherwise I\'ll spend days and days and days trying to fix it!
Probably not so many days, the problems and fixes are well known and documented and it is nice when it works properly. In my eperience the hydractive II on the XM is far nicer than H3+ on the C5.

cachaciero
When it works!! .... :lol: :lol: :lol:

:sprint:

<runs and hides>

Paul

User avatar
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
Posts: 41564
Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33
x 1052

XM 2.1TD Auto Box

Post by CitroJim » 04 Mar 2010, 18:05

citroenxm wrote: <runs and hides>
You can run but you can never hide from the Hydractive Police Paul...

Hydractive is good, Hyderactive is great, we love hydractive... :D