XM 2.1TD Auto Box

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Geoff Lebowski

XM 2.1TD Auto Box

Post by Geoff Lebowski »

As mentioned in my other thread, this XM has no history and has clearly been neglected.

But, perhaps the Achillies heel (to some extent) of the XM, the auto box oil was black. It didn\'t smell burnt, but it was black. It has the oil cooler fitted as standard and so probably hasn\'t over heated.

Clearly my best option from now on is frequent oil and filter changes. But what\'s the prognosis?

As fas as I know it\'s a 4HP18 box!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Yep,

4HP18...

Nice and mechanical.

Black fluid but not burned is OK. No worries there. You only worry when it has a burney twang about it.

Drain the old fluid and clean the filter. Refill with DEXRON II and the job's a good 'un.

Not sure abot filter access but it's easier then a 4HP20 and I believe they're cleanable, like an LHM resevoir filter. I can check my books later to confirm the filter details.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
davetherave
My Cars:

Post by davetherave »

They are cleanable, should come out ok but may be a bit stiff!
(95) XM Silver 2.1td Exclusive.
(87) Cx 2.5 DTR T1 undergoing major cosmetic surgery.
GPZ500s
Sid_the_Squid
My Cars:

Post by Sid_the_Squid »

If the 4HP18 is anything like its newer sibling the 4HP20 its only a partial change of oil, therefore I'd suggest doing a few of these oil changes a mere few hundred miles apart, try and flush all that old gunge out.

Make sure its Dexron 2 you get, Dexron 3/4 are not backwards compatible, despite what the guy at the car parts shop will say.
Gone to the dark side.

Past Citroens
'99 Xantia HDi Exclusive
'99 Xantia 3.0 V6 Exclusive (Green Goblin)
'02 C5 Hdi 110 LX Estate
'98 Xantia 1.8 sx auto with LPG
'00 Xantia Hdi (110) forte
'97 Xantia 1.9D sx
'93 Xantia 1.9D lx (my first) R.I.P
Geoff Lebowski

Post by Geoff Lebowski »

Thank you chaps. Reassuring news Jim! So it\'s a fairly robust box then ? Is it repairable by the home mechanic, oh Autobox black belted one?!

Half of the oil stays in the torque converter doesn\'t in Sid? So it\'s a process of dilution of old with new, hopefully removing the cr@p as it goes.

Davetherave, when you stiff, do you mean that the filer may be brittle or just that it may be gunged up? Are the filters particularly delicate?
Sid_the_Squid
My Cars:

Post by Sid_the_Squid »

Half of the oil stays in the torque converter doesn\'t in Sid? So it\'s a process of dilution of old with new, hopefully removing the cr@p as it goes.
You got it Dude
Gone to the dark side.

Past Citroens
'99 Xantia HDi Exclusive
'99 Xantia 3.0 V6 Exclusive (Green Goblin)
'02 C5 Hdi 110 LX Estate
'98 Xantia 1.8 sx auto with LPG
'00 Xantia Hdi (110) forte
'97 Xantia 1.9D sx
'93 Xantia 1.9D lx (my first) R.I.P
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

There is a how to of this on the XM forum if your on there, the HP18 seems much more reliable than the 20 probably due to the fact some wally didnt say it was sealed for life and hide the Filter, as has been said do 3 changes witth a bit of driving between, do the changes with the box hot too just after a run to get as much muck out as possible and clean the filter on the 3rd and final change, the difference in shift quality will be most welcome, they dont like black oil :lol:

http://www.club-xm.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=71

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Geoff Lebowski wrote:Thank you chaps. Reassuring news Jim! So it\'s a fairly robust box then ? Is it repairable by the home mechanic, oh Autobox black belted one?!

Davetherave, when you stiff, do you mean that the filer may be brittle or just that it may be gunged up? Are the filters particularly delicate?
Robust, no not if its continually used with poor gear fluid! Thats whats sent so many to early retirement!!

If the gear changes are still VERY nice and smooth, then as sugested do a couple of frequent fluid changes to get it all good and clean and red!

I can go over her with you Neil, when Im down next!

Regards
Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Ah Geoff............you are a lucky man being able to put that Dexron 11 in there. Dexron should be changed a few times until it is red on the dipstick at any given time.....that's the way to keep it.

I change the Dexron on Prelude once a year along with engine oil (7k per annum)
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
Geoff Lebowski

Post by Geoff Lebowski »

Thanks for the kink DeanXM. I\'m not on there no..............but will be soon!

The gear change is smooth thankfully, so hopefully minimal damage done and some nice doses of fresh oil should see her heave a sigh of relief! Me too now I think of it, that and the epic were my too biggest concerns!

The car is still down at my mates Paul all sorn and looking quite sad at the moment. Once the Xantia is gone, I have some BX tinkering and then it\'s XM starship away! I may still take you up on your offer if I\'m up Anglesey way though! Actually, you may be able to help me out with the odd spare. Nothing big, but I\'ll check and email you if that\'s ok.

I must say I\'m very excited, although it\'ll be Mrs Geoff\'s daily drive. Well, she wanted an auto, so I got her a big comfy one! The kids will like the vents in the rear too!

Thanks for the help and support, I\'m sitting a little more comfortable now!
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

Geoff Lebowski wrote:Thanks for the kink DeanXM. I\'m not on there no..............but will be soon!

T
I must say I\'m very excited, although it\'ll be Mrs Geoff\'s daily drive. Well, she wanted an auto, so I got her a big comfy one! The kids will like the vents in the rear too!

Thanks for the help and support, I\'m sitting a little more comfortable now!
Ahh.....! typical XM ploy make the owner feel good then wham! a good kick in the privates, if not the box then we will get him with head / rad / ABS / steering rack / hydractive ECU never a moment to get bored :-)

PS anybody want to swap a clean low mileage 2.1 Exclusive for a C5 2.2 same trim level?

cachaciero
Geoff Lebowski

Post by Geoff Lebowski »

/\\ ha ha! So that\'s how it is then!

It already has an ABS fault (I\'m praying for a bad connector but expect it\'ll be sensor (unless the ABS control units are known to be poor??))

And yes, it gets itself into hard mode when it really needn\'t.

I\'m seriously considering disconnecting the hydractive electro valve and fit not hyd spheres on each corner and have done, otherwise I\'ll spend days and days and days trying to fix it!
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

Geoff Lebowski wrote:/\\ ha ha! So that\'s how it is then!

It already has an ABS fault (I\'m praying for a bad connector but expect it\'ll be sensor (unless the ABS control units are known to be poor??))

I\'m seriously considering disconnecting the hydractive electro valve and fit not hyd spheres on each corner and have done, otherwise I\'ll spend days and days and days trying to fix it!
Probably not so many days, the problems and fixes are well known and documented and it is nice when it works properly. In my eperience the hydractive II on the XM is far nicer than H3+ on the C5.

cachaciero
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

cachaciero wrote:
Geoff Lebowski wrote:/\\ ha ha! So that\'s how it is then!

Probably not so many days, the problems and fixes are well known and documented and it is nice when it works properly. In my eperience the hydractive II on the XM is far nicer than H3+ on the C5.

cachaciero
When it works!! .... :lol: :lol: :lol:

:sprint:

<runs and hides>

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

citroenxm wrote: <runs and hides>
You can run but you can never hide from the Hydractive Police Paul...

Hydractive is good, Hyderactive is great, we love hydractive... :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...