Xantia Electrical Problem with heater blower+rear window

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Xantia 1.9TD Owner

Xantia Electrical Problem with heater blower+rear window

Post by Xantia 1.9TD Owner »

I have a strange electrical problem on my Xantia and was hoping somebody on here might be able to help.

When the key is in the ignition but engine is not running, i am able to run the heater blower and the rear heated window.

Once the ignition is turned and engine is running, neither will work.
Although this is one of those intermittent faults so sometimes it works fine. (just like the rev counter and rear wiper, but they dont worry me so much!)

Looking at the Haynes manual we have found both the rear window heater and blower are earthed at B002 earth equipotential post and think this could be the problem.

But where is B002?
Any help with this would be really appreciated.

Some more info which might identify the cause.. Recently changed the "Clutch Clip" and also had some leaking problems in the boot(I think it was the rear light cluster).
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

A faulty ignition switch should be your first port of call, a quick search of the forum will bring up loads of posts on the subject and also how to fit a relay to overcome the issue.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Xantia 1.9TD Owner

Thanks

So far ive just been reading through lots of other posts about the blower.. I'll keep looking :)
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Welcome to our troubles, X19O. :mrgreen:

B002 won’t be the fault; and don’t know where it is because I’ve never had cause to explore there, but it’s always there irrespective of switch position.

If you only got the car recently, there’s the possibility of a bodgie in the switch wiring, like a dubious splice of the switched blower wire to a permanent live.
The ignition switch can be parted from the barrel, so as to replace it from a wreck while keeping the same key.
Whatever the finding, the only permanent fix is a relay to feed the blower.

If wetness in the boot starts from a corner, then it’s usually water leaking past the cluster seal.
The cluster may have been left loose after a bulb replacement.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
Xantia 1.9TD Owner

Hi Clogzz

Yes you're exactly right about the wet boot corner. Although im not sure if its due to the cluster being left loose, as i always tighten it well and the rubber seal seems ok.
I think it could have been simply down to the snow sat on top allowing it time to get through.
This time was the worst ive ever seen it, previously it was just a small wet patch on the right hand corner of the boot after heavy rain.

I did have an ignition problem a while back (maybe 2 years now, owned the car since 05) and had a replacement fitted. Pretty sure it will have been an old one from a wreck, like you say.

I'll look into a relay feed to the blower, its certainly a bad time of year to be without it!

Thanks for your help :)
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Hi X19O,

Water coming in through the cluster can be a fiddly repair job.
I thought that mine was loose, so retightened it while wriggling it in … and it still leaked.
The sealing surface in not perfectly flat, with the looks of spot welds or something.
There is a trail of grey dust where the water leaks past the seal.
Maybe that the seal has deteriorated in time, but certainly not in a visible way.
In the end, I slapped goo along the top part of the seal, and it’s kept the rain out since.

All the water from the rear hatch, and also much from the roof is dumped onto the rear light clusters.
You may see water sloshing around inside the cluster, as I had, and next the cluster earth connector was corroded, causing the turn indicator and brake light to go dim.
I soldered a piece of wire around the earth connector, and it’s been good since.

All ignition switches of that vintage have packed up because of the high blower current.
A replacement would have to come from a Mk II with relay modification.
Waiting for the wild weather to end, you could temporarily feed the blower from the cigarette lighter, and unplug when you switch off.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

Last winter (intending to be prepared if I had the dreaded blower/HRW problem), I collated various useful posts into this complete how-to-do with circuit diagrams and pictures. This might save you a lot of searching.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Can you post that in the Hints and Tips forum please Guy?
An excellent piece of information that could save many from a lot of bother.
Xantia 1.9TD Owner

Excellent

Thanks for the info guys. I'll look over that other page.

Quick question.. So if i were to fix the power to the blower, the HRW would also be fixed?
Xantia 1.9TD Owner

Just had a quick read over the pdf Old-Guy posted.. thanks that is a really well put together guide explaining everything. :D

And Clogz.. ive checked my rear tailight and it has let some more wet in. Even though i cleaned up the seals and tightened it as far as it would go.
So its time for some modification!