Non-French (Morris Minor) - but stuck...

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Posts: 7098
Joined: 19 Aug 2008, 12:38
x 95

Non-French (Morris Minor) - but stuck...

Unread post by addo »

This came up on Friday; I think a '53 Minor.

The screw-on oil filter is an odd size/spec that's apparently hard to get (here, Ryco ZA2 which is "NFP"). I had a modest browse through various Mini suppliers' web pages in case early Minis shared the same issues - but it seems not.

Is there a common adaptation, or a commercially made adapter kit to use a common filter? Certainly something could be bodged up or even billeted - but it seems worth checking what may be available first.

Thanks, Adam.


p.s. What an agricultural car! I know simplicity may have been its strength, but it'd not be a classic of choice for me.
User avatar
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
Posts: 4878
Joined: 25 Nov 2006, 09:15
x 38

Unread post by DickieG »

25 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk
23 BMW iX3 M Sport Pro
23 Jeep Avenger
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Posts: 7098
Joined: 19 Aug 2008, 12:38
x 95

Unread post by addo »

Interesting; the first site you linked has the matching style of filter at £9.95 - looks like the engine spec is 803cc. Ta for that! Second site also lists a kit but sadly no photos or comprehensive description.

Local factors were just stony; "Sorry, can't help".
User avatar
Paul-R
Moderating Team
Posts: 9348
Joined: 07 May 2009, 16:24
x 1943

Unread post by Paul-R »

If I remember correctly the 803cc engine oil system uses a bypass filter, not a full-flow.

For the benefit of those who don't know the difference a bypass filter has a much finer filter than what we now call a normal filter. The principle was that only some of the oil goes through this filter while the rest gets pumped around the engine. This means that there's a chance a nasty piece of crud could get pumped straight to the main bearings!

The Full-flow was intoduced with the 948cc engine and doesnt clean as well but it does, at least, filter all of the oil going in to engine.

There were kits available to convert from bypass to full-flow decades ago but they might be a bit difficult to get hold of. If you go to someone who understands bypass oil filter requirements they might be abe to set you with an adaptor plate perhaps?

I did search and found an interesting post on, of all things, a liht aircraft association forum discussing the VW engine!

http://www.lightaircraftassociation.co. ... c772b0d166
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson
User avatar
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Posts: 28693
Joined: 02 Mar 2008, 13:30
x 5674

Re: Non-French (Morris Minor) - but stuck...

Unread post by myglaren »

addo wrote:This came up on Friday; I think a '53 Minor.

p.s. What an agricultural car! I know simplicity may have been its strength, but it'd not be a classic of choice for me.
My dad was a very enthusiastic MM owner/driver.
I never saw the attraction and the suspension is the diametrical opposite of Citroen Hydropneumatic.