Non-French (Morris Minor) - but stuck...

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Non-French (Morris Minor) - but stuck...

Post by addo »

This came up on Friday; I think a '53 Minor.

The screw-on oil filter is an odd size/spec that's apparently hard to get (here, Ryco ZA2 which is "NFP"). I had a modest browse through various Mini suppliers' web pages in case early Minis shared the same issues - but it seems not.

Is there a common adaptation, or a commercially made adapter kit to use a common filter? Certainly something could be bodged up or even billeted - but it seems worth checking what may be available first.

Thanks, Adam.

p.s. What an agricultural car! I know simplicity may have been its strength, but it'd not be a classic of choice for me.
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Interesting; the first site you linked has the matching style of filter at £9.95 - looks like the engine spec is 803cc. Ta for that! Second site also lists a kit but sadly no photos or comprehensive description.

Local factors were just stony; "Sorry, can't help".
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

If I remember correctly the 803cc engine oil system uses a bypass filter, not a full-flow.

For the benefit of those who don't know the difference a bypass filter has a much finer filter than what we now call a normal filter. The principle was that only some of the oil goes through this filter while the rest gets pumped around the engine. This means that there's a chance a nasty piece of crud could get pumped straight to the main bearings!

The Full-flow was intoduced with the 948cc engine and doesnt clean as well but it does, at least, filter all of the oil going in to engine.

There were kits available to convert from bypass to full-flow decades ago but they might be a bit difficult to get hold of. If you go to someone who understands bypass oil filter requirements they might be abe to set you with an adaptor plate perhaps?

I did search and found an interesting post on, of all things, a liht aircraft association forum discussing the VW engine!

http://www.lightaircraftassociation.co. ... c772b0d166
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: Non-French (Morris Minor) - but stuck...

Post by myglaren »

addo wrote:This came up on Friday; I think a '53 Minor.

p.s. What an agricultural car! I know simplicity may have been its strength, but it'd not be a classic of choice for me.
My dad was a very enthusiastic MM owner/driver.
I never saw the attraction and the suspension is the diametrical opposite of Citroen Hydropneumatic.