Heater/demister fan

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

koppite34

Heater/demister fan

Post by koppite34 »

The fan you control for heating and demister etc wont come on sometimes it does but most of the time it is not and coming up to winter those misty windows will be back but no blower to get rid!.....Is it the relay switch? what to do and cost please!!! Oh its a 1999 xantia
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Check the connections on the blower assembly, especiaslly the big red and grey ones, both on the 4 way plug and the two singl plugs that connect to the motor. The fan can consume up to 30A on full and the connectors are known to run hot, loose their temper and fail to make a good contact.

The motor brushes could also be worn. Check by looking for voltage at the motor connectors. If you find volts there, the brushes have had it.

If so, source a replacement motor from a scrap vehicle as provide they're from an aircon car, they're all the same.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
koppite34

Fan

Post by koppite34 »

thanks for that what do i look for when i open the bonnet so i can see what to look for? thanks for that.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Fan

Post by CitroJim »

koppite34 wrote:thanks for that what do i look for when i open the bonnet so i can see what to look for? thanks for that.
Don't open the bonnet! Instead get your head down in the passenger footwell and undo the five or so Torx screws that hold the fabric trim on under the glovebox. Under her you'll find the blower motor assembly, the pollen filter and the connectors/cables I referred to earlier...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

The blower fan is above the passenger footwell beneath a trim cover attached with 2 torx head screws and 5 or 6 plastic allen head trim screws.
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

u beat me to that !! #-o
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

HDI wrote:u beat me to that !! #-o
Happens a lot around here :lol: :lol: :lol: I had the reverse happen just a few moments ago with John Plum's balljoint thread.

Still better two replies saying much the same than none at all!!!
Jim

koppite34

thanks

Post by koppite34 »

Thanks to your replies....good job got people who are in the know unlike me eh..lol Thanks i will let you know how i go......pray for me.lol