Normal Spheres on a Hydractive Car?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Normal Spheres on a Hydractive Car?

Post by CitroJim »

Knowing now that my fast tick in soft mode is caused by duff electrovalves and it'll be a few weeks before the pennies allow the purchase of a new set, I'm thinking of a temporary workaround.

If I force the suspension into permanant hard mode that'll be too hard for comfort really.

But what if I swap all the corner spheres for non Hydractive spheres? Would that work and give an acceptable and safe ride pro-tem with the hydractive system forced hard?

If so, which spheres might be best?

Interested in all thoughts on this one :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

That will work fine Jim, there's not a lot of difference in the ride between 1.8 and 2.0 sphere's indeed I'd bet very few people could tell the difference on a straight back to back test.

Other than personal pride, does it really matter that much (worth the hassle of swapping sphere's) if the pump is cutting in every 5 seconds bearing in mind you're sorting it out very soon.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Thanks Richard :D

Are you home now? Are you going to Stratford this weekend?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

CitroJim wrote:Thanks Richard :D

Are you home now? Are you going to Stratford this weekend?
At this very moment I'm waiting I'm at Kos airport waiting to check in :(

I'm certainly intending to go to Stratford unless SWMBO has other ideas :roll:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Hi Jim

I would probably be inclined to leave them on after you have repaired it, you would have a lovely ride. :D

Peter
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

The trouble with the pump cutting in so much is the extra wear and tear on the pump and they aren't cheap.

Have you tried taking the electrovalve apart to see if the O ring has failed? My Xantia used to make a noise like a toilet cistern filling after turning off the engine and this is what I traced it to.

Sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs with this, I think you know more about it than I do.

Steve.
not applicable
xmexclusive

Post by xmexclusive »

According to Citroen electrovalve "O" ring failure can be identified by the following symptoms:
After a prolonged stop, the vehicle suspension takes a long time to rise.
The hydraulic pressure warning lamp lights on hard acceleration or when driving at sustained speeds when hydractive suspension is in firm mode.

John
Xmexclusive
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Thanks all :D

No, I've not pulled my valves apart yet Steve but I have dismantled a known duff valve recently to learn how they work. I do know the O rings are not the problem as all is absolutely fine in hard mode.

I have a set of non-hydractive spheres on order and will pop them on as soon as they arrive. I quite agree that it's not a good idea to run for long with a short tick rate as it really does stress things. It's maybe the reason why I needed to have my pressure regulator refurbished in the first place.
Jim

Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

I wonder if at some stage it has had the wrong fluid put in it and that's why you are having these hydraulic failures :?
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Post by Toby_HDi »

DickieG wrote:At this very moment I'm waiting I'm at Kos airport waiting to check in :(
Didn't realise you were in Kos, where did you stay? I went a couple of years ago.
Toby

Previous:
2004 Peugeot 407 HDi 138 SE Luxury Pack
2001 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
2001 Peugeot 406 V6 Coupé
1998 S2 Xantia Activa
2000 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
1999 Peugeot 406 2.0 16v Estate
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Stempy wrote:I wonder if at some stage it has had the wrong fluid put in it and that's why you are having these hydraulic failures :?
Well, now that's a moot point. The system has remarkably clean LHM and it must have been changed just prior to my ownership of the car and I'm seriously wondering if the LHM changes and hydraflushes had been neglected and this was an attempt to resolve what may have been a pre-existing fault. Trouble is, the car came to be broke and with a huge LHM leak from the rear electrovalve body (due to corrosion) so apart from seeing new LHM in the system, I had no idea of the hydraulic condition.

Not too much harm could have done as the tick rate in hard mode is measured in days almost and the car does not sink at all and will stay up for weeks. Everything else is healthy. The pressure regulator was leaking badly before Pleiades workd their magic on it and it could well have been a victim of this fast ticking.

Picking up on your comment Stempy in my other thread on this subject, yes, I reckon it is certainly possible that the valves could have worn through neglected LHM changes. I do have the full service history for the car so I'll have a look through it and see if it gives me any clues.
Jim

citrov6
My Cars:

Post by citrov6 »

i'm guessing soft mode sphere bumps damping up 1.0 or so giving you a lot of options from the non-hydractives?

it occured to me that the pump would be pushed harder without the support of the soft sphere in bx corners that are an extra 25% in volume, i have no idea if thats the reality of it
Love my black v6 xant - only one with cream coloured leather too!
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

xmexclusive wrote:According to Citroen electrovalve "O" ring failure can be identified by the following symptoms:
After a prolonged stop, the vehicle suspension takes a long time to rise.
The hydraulic pressure warning lamp lights on hard acceleration or when driving at sustained speeds when hydractive suspension is in firm mode.

John
I never had any of those symptoms, the ride was just not great unless the road surface was very smooth. The regulator cycle time was pretty short too - nearly forgot that.

Steve.
Last edited by steelcityuk on 27 Aug 2009, 08:43, edited 1 time in total.
not applicable
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

One of mine has though!
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

Jim, I have to disagree with your prognosis that a 20 second tick rate will stress the hydraulic system. :!: Oh no!! a disagreement on FCF!!! :shock:

This is a different situation to a fast tick caused by a flat accumulator sphere, where due to the time taken by the regulator to react, there will be sharp spikes and dips in the system pressure.

In your case, with a good accumulator, the system pressure variation should be minimal, with no component seeing abnormal pressures, just the regulator going through a few more switching cycles.

Remember that when the car is being driven (particularly an Activa), there is a lot more draw from the system than when static, and the regulator will often be ticking every few seconds anyway.