Xantia regulator LHM leak...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

JamesQB
My Cars: Citroen Xantia 1.8 - I miss this car a lot.

Xantia regulator LHM leak...

Post by JamesQB »

Hi again...

This car is proving more and more troublesome. Given up on air-con problem for now, but fixed door locking mechanism (lots and lots of WD40 sprayed into the gap around the electrical connector to the mechanism, and the motor came back to life after months of not moving at all).

Changed accumulator sphere yesterday to reduce ticking from 4 seconds to almost never, and no longer clicking every time the brake pedal is pressed. But noticed leaking LHM. Cleaned entire area meticulously and re-checked today. The leak is from the back of the regulator, opposite side to where the sphere screws in. There's a mounting plate with a single bolt attaching it to the back of the regulator and it's from between the back of the regulator body and the mounting plate that LHM is weeping out.

Anyone had this before, and is it repairable? If the plate is removed, the back of the regulator looks a solid casting, but in fact I can see a large circlip (without eyes, just a tubular ring) that appears impossible to remove, just inside. Any ideas please? :?
Last edited by JamesQB on 25 Jun 2009, 12:46, edited 1 time in total.
Honda Civic 2.2 CDTi 2006
Peugeot 407 2.0 HDi 2007
fridgedoc
My Cars:

leak

Post by fridgedoc »

hi james

I had this problem.....now sorted.......all OK.

if you need any assistance just shout

regards
Bonne Chance

Stephen

LHD Xantia 1994 (deceased)
LHD Xantia 1995 Berline
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi James,

I had exactly this issue on my V6 after the rebuild.

I cracked it by removing the plate and inserting a thin, large diamater O ring under the plate. There is a groove for a very fat O ring there but nowhere (so far as I can see) is there an O ring listed for this position.

Touch-wood it has stemmed the flow (albeit minor). You may achieve the same result by putting a bit of low-strength thread lock or Hylomar on the thread of the plate securing stud as well.

I've seen loads of pressure regulators a little damp in this area.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
JamesQB

Post by JamesQB »

Thanks both of you. Unfortunately I fly back to the UK tomorrow evening so may not have time to do anything about it at the moment, but as the leak is fairly minor I'm hoping it'll be okay.

The problem I just can't sort and is more pressing is the air-conditioning, and now the fast-idle. Bought a new fast-idle electrovalve as the original was open-circuit but it's made no difference to the air-con not working at idle. On top of that, even though temps are high here, when I started it the fast-idle was causing revs to go to 1050 or so. When I revved to a certain point, the solenoid opened and the vacuum pulled the fast idle cable. As soon as stopped revving, the solenoid closed and fast idle came back on. This was same with air-con switch on and off.

Had hoped once ECU detected solenoid was okay, it'd de-energise the relay that controls the air-con clutch and let the air-con come on at idle - assumed it turned fast-idle on when air-con was switched on ready for extra load...
Peugeot 407 2.0 HDi 2007
fridgedoc
My Cars:

leak

Post by fridgedoc »

Hi james

I got the right size "O" ring so touch wood no leak !!!!!!

I could get another one if you are stuck.

where are you returning from james?
Bonne Chance

Stephen

LHD Xantia 1995 Berline
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: leak

Post by CitroJim »

fridgedoc wrote: I got the right size "O" ring so touch wood no leak !!!!!!
Do you have a part number for the O ring?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
fridgedoc
My Cars:

leak

Post by fridgedoc »

Hi jim

sorry no part number as "O" ring was from a box of o rings not a citroen part, was lucky mate had this box and found the right size one, well as near as dam it, did repair weeks ago now and no leak.
Bonne Chance

Stephen

LHD Xantia 1995 Berline
JamesQB

Post by JamesQB »

Hi, I'm returning from very warm and sunny East coast of Spain to the more dreary North of Wales. All good things come to an end I suppose. Due to work I may not be over again until this time next year, so the leak may have to wait till then, just had too many things to do this visit. It's only a small drip, but it's leaving the drive spotty.

I read through the posts regarding this problem via the search, but don't quite understand where this seal goes. I gather the middle section needs compressing in, and then the snap ring can be pried out. I see that should release the inner cylindrical section, but not the 'end cap' I read of.

As for air-con problem, I think it may have to be entrusted to a Citroen garage here and hope that the cost doesn't spiral.
Peugeot 407 2.0 HDi 2007
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

North Wales :o !!???

Weather here on anglesey has been AS GOOD as spain this week!!!

Were in North Wales, let me Guess, Wrexham side?? 8)

Dont the regulators leak after they have ran on FLAT accumilator spheres for too long?? I find this IS the case, and seems right after you say you changed your regulator from click a sec to click a min .... :)

Theres a post somewere about replacing the O ring inside the end of the regulator, but cannot remember if its on here or CX fourm, or XM fourm.. I think it involved a GS regulator, but all are simillar...

I found this on the S1 Xantia I got here, but in a different way.. The car has a Hydraflush run through it, then LHM put back in, and then the Pinion Valve started leaking!!

ALSO- after fitting 4 new spheres, the rear arms showed their weaknesses, and decided to lean in after looking fine on the old ones.. rear bearings done now.. and what a difference to the softness!!!

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
fridgedoc
My Cars:

Post by fridgedoc »

hi james and all

I found the way to replace the seal on a cz site??

It involved cutting a nick out of the edge which then allowed you to remove thr clip dead easy (it must be I did it :)) will have a look to find the site, Will post address later if I find it!!!

So you have been having fun in Spain, afraid I'm stuck here in France having to put up with the sun and wine and the food and the fun, really suffering, it's the village fete this Sunday where they FORCE you to drink and eat all day long!!!!!!!
Bonne Chance

Stephen

LHD Xantia 1995 Berline
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I'd be grateful to know more on this Stephen as I'd like to fix mine properly one day even though removing a pressure regulator from a V6 is a task and a half. If you can find the link, that'll be really good.

I checked mine this evening and the O ring bodge is holding up a treat.
Jim

fridgedoc
My Cars:

leak

Post by fridgedoc »

Hi Jim

well mate I search like hell for the site and found "nothing" could not believe it............... maybe a senior moment ;) ........................and then "DING" I was sure I printed off a couple of sheets from the site so search through car and low and behold success.......

http://www.tramontana.co.hu/citroen/sus ... ension.php

although a BX site lots of info
Bonne Chance

Stephen

LHD Xantia 1995 Berline
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if you look up a regulator for a BX on service citroen it shows a complete break down of the above and all its parts,

if it works here is the link

http://service.citroen.com/docpr/affich ... 3%20391610,

the new O ring is part 18 and part No. 96157735

regards malcolm
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

sorry it did nay work,

so how do i copy and paste a link to a page from service citroen on here then

regards malcolm
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Malcolm,

Sadly, you cannot as you need to be logged in to see it.

The best way is to take a screenshot and compress and resize it and post it as a jpeg image.

I can't right now but I can later for you.

Here is one I did earlier as an example..

How's the finger?
Jim