1.8 Cambelt HELP

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

andydykes
My Cars:

1.8 Cambelt HELP

Post by andydykes »

In the process of doing my cambelt, I am over the mileage and been on borrowed time. Bit the bullet today.

Old belt looks worn compared to the new one. Replaced idler and tensioner but cannot get the belt on. All timeing marks set and locked in place. What do I need to do? I cannot release any more on the tensioner. The old one looks ok should I put this back on.

Need the car back on the road for Monday???

Cheers

ANdy
Current Car C5 1.8LX
Pre Loved Citroen's
Picasso Diesel, Xantia Diesel, Xsara Petrol, BX1.9 GTI Petrol, BX Diesel, GSA, GS
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

The belts are a tight fit even when everything is slackened off. The belt must go on square to all the sprockets, if you have an angle on it,it will take up all the slack, you should be able to get the edge on and then work round easing it on a bit at a time.
andydykes
My Cars:

Post by andydykes »

Got the belt on thanks, found the tensioner was not in the right position. Next problem, on removing my locking bolts found that the locking bolt is stuck in the exhaust cam lock. I cannot get anything at it to remove it is pushed right in. I assume I am going to have to remove the exhaust cambelt sprocket. Looks like a special socket is required. Anybody got an idea of what it is called and size. Hope Halfords have one tomorrow morning.

Cheers
Andy
Current Car C5 1.8LX
Pre Loved Citroen's
Picasso Diesel, Xantia Diesel, Xsara Petrol, BX1.9 GTI Petrol, BX Diesel, GSA, GS
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Can you drill a hole in it and use an 'easyout' or maybe weld something on to the end of it?
andydykes
My Cars:

Post by andydykes »

Peter.N. wrote:Can you drill a hole in it and use an 'easyout' or maybe weld something on to the end of it?
Not enough room to get a drill in and I dont have welding equipment. Thanks for tip though
Current Car C5 1.8LX
Pre Loved Citroen's
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Right. Can you slide a piece of plastic tubing over it to unscrew it?
andydykes
My Cars:

Post by andydykes »

Bit tight, might be able to find something. Was thinking of sticking some superglue to it and then a finger/glove. What do you think?
Current Car C5 1.8LX
Pre Loved Citroen's
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Depends how tightly its screwed in. A length of heat shrink sleeving might do it, its fairly thin walled, if you then heat it with a hirdryer or heatgun it will shrink and grip the stud.
andydykes
My Cars:

Post by andydykes »

Hi,
It's not screwed in just stuck and in a real difficult place to get at. I assume it's better to try and remove rather than strip down more of the engine?

Cheers
Andy
Current Car C5 1.8LX
Pre Loved Citroen's
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Can you not see it if you jack the engine right up?
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

If you remove the Inlet cam bolt and crank bolt, engage 5th gear and with the wheel on the hub with a bolt in move the wheel, which will in turn move the whole engine, this then may just move the exhaust sprocket enough to slide the locking pin out! IF your tensioner is tensioned correctly it will not hurt to move the engineeither way a tiny bit to remove the pin..

IIRC the Petrol enginepins DO NOT screw in, just push is as a pin??

You can also try a STRONG magnet over it while you move the engine....

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

Yes thats Right paul they just push in, not screw in like dervs, good sound advise, i would think you have pinched the pin by moving the sprocket slightly whilst fitting the belt, either that or the belt isnt on right on the longest run and when you did the tensioner up its tried to pull the cam round and has jammed on the pin???

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I would be checking the belt is correctly fitted. If the crank is re-pinned and tensioner loosened, it surely will allow "jiggle room" to release the exhaust cam pin.

If a threaded fastener has been used instead of a shouldered pin, it might be cocked in the bore.

Before considering the job good, I'd be rotating the crank four to eight times (plugs out) with moderate tension on the bearing then pinning the crank pulley again. Upper pins should both slot right in.

Many cams also have a hex or square section along their forged length; removal of the valve cover means you can put a large spanner or s**t on this part to jiggle the cam and release a truculent pin.

Regards, Adam.
andydykes
My Cars:

Post by andydykes »

Hi Guys,
I suppose this is the problem caused by doing things on the cheap and not having the correct locking pins :cry: I used a bolt to lock the cams but unfortunately pushed it in to far - hence it being stuck in the cam sprocket it does wiggle a little bit as I tried to turn the engine to and fro using a socket on the crank. This has not been enough to shift it.

I think the method of putting a spanner on the cam itself is not going to make much difference unless I take the sprocket off, which not happy doing. Tried a weak magnet will have a look to see if I have anything stronger. What about super glue on a pair of gloves and on the bolt head?

Thanks for support.

Andy
Current Car C5 1.8LX
Pre Loved Citroen's
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Does the camshaft sprocket not have holes in it? Is it not possible to bend a piece of wire coat hanger or similar, maybe with a hook bent on the end to try and dislodge it - you have probably tried all that - I'm clutching at straws now.