Centre console

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Centre console

Post by MikeT »

Are they easy to remove and would it give me a route to the engine bay via, what I call, the gearbox tunnel?
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

It's a bit of a pig to get the hand brake out of the way but it will come out with enough BF&I. I don't recall there being any way into the engine bay without drilling holes. I looked in vain with the hope of finding a through route when I did the matrix.
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

To remove the centre console you need to take the front wheels off and release the handbrake cable on both brake callipers.

Working inside the car you can then release the cable from the handbrake lever.

With the cable off you need to lift the handbrake to the vertical and lift the console off over it.
Cheers, Kev

02 plate C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive SE (now 170k miles 03/21).

Used to have:- Xantia 1.9 TurboD SX. 1996 Blue & 1998 Silver Activa. + 1992 BX TZD Turbo.
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

I tried to find a way through when I was installing a 12S socket but I ended up connecting the cable into the fusebox.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Stempy wrote:...I don't recall there being any way into the engine bay without drilling holes....
This was what I was told when I asked before so I went off the idea, especially when someone said they drilled through a harness. However, lLast time Citrojim came by he suggested under the tunnel :!: I was already considering the coin tray and ashtray as gauge space donors so it would be a neat solution to pass through there. Heat shields may be needed but that's a small price to pay considering the alternatives I think.

KevMayer wrote:To remove the centre console you need to take the front wheels off and release the handbrake cable on both brake callipers.
That's handy, it's currently sitting on axle stands with RH wheel off :lol: Cheers for the method, Kev.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I used the other approach detailed on this site, for the handbrake - loosened the three mount bolts after lifting the console slightly. Then you can tip it forward and unhook the cable. When reassembling, you trim away more carpet/underlay around the bolt positions.

Regards, Adam.
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

I'll let my nephew decide which method he wants to use then 8) Thanks addo
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

KevMayer wrote:To remove the centre console you need to take the front wheels off and release the handbrake cable on both brake callipers.
Oh good lord no don't go to all that hassle :shock: simply press hard on the footbrake to assist in pulling up the handbrake high enough to allow the console to slip over the top of it. I've used this method on several Xantia's with total success :lol:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

DickieG wrote:
Oh good lord no don't go to all that hassle :shock: simply press hard on the footbrake to assist in pulling up the handbrake high enough to allow the console to slip over the top of it. I've used this method on several Xantia's with total success :lol:
I was just thinking the same thing, I would never dream of going to the hassle of disconnecting the handbrake cables to remove the centre console, as dickie says foot hard on the brake & a good hard yank on the handbrake does the trick.
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

I've had my centre console out 2 times on a Xantia and disconnecting the brake cable was the only way I could think of to free up the lever enough to pull the console over it.

It was easy enough to disengage the handbrake cable. So easy that I'd do it the same way if I have to remove the console again.

I don't like giving handbrakes a good hard yank because of the risk of upsetting the adjustment of the cable or stretching an old cable.
Cheers, Kev

02 plate C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive SE (now 170k miles 03/21).

Used to have:- Xantia 1.9 TurboD SX. 1996 Blue & 1998 Silver Activa. + 1992 BX TZD Turbo.