Xantia lower engine mount

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

fred1

Xantia lower engine mount

Post by fred1 »

Hi,

Has anyone changed the rubber "doughnut" in the lower engine mount without removing the mount from the car.

Is it possible to drive it out of the aluminium monting while it is on the car?

Regards

John
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

Hi John

I cut through the outer steel shell carefully..
getting the new one in was most unsatisfying :( it really needs pressing I would say..

John
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

tis possible and yes i have replaced one, easyest way is try and remove as much of the rubber as pos, then cut through the metal outter in at least one place if not two with a hacksaw, then clean the beveld entrance to the aluminium houseing with a round file, so the new bush has a lead into its houseing, you will have to drift the new bush in, they usualy go in most the way then become stuck, keep driftting it will go, you might damage the edge but as long as it gose home it will be ok,

also you need to get the corect oriantation of the new bush, so make sure you study the line of the vouids in the old bush before removal

regards malcolm
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

I'm planning to try it quite soon.

I was going to use the hacksaw method to remove it, as described on this thread. To fit the new one I had envisaged making a crude press from threaded rod and some kind of disc or bar.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
fred1

Post by fred1 »

Guys,

Many thanks - much as I suspected but at least I now know what to expect !!

Thanks

John
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

fair dos using a hacksaw to get the old one out but I'm naturally wary of bashing the new one in. Richard, your idea of using threaded rod and bars etc. is much better. I'm always concerned about cracking the alloy casting if a big hammer is used with too much enthusiasm.

I have one to do soon. I'll do it the hard way initially by removing the whole thing (four bolts and a driveshaft) and then letting my hydraulic press do the work. It is important to press on the outer ring of the mount and not on the inner. It will distort and the rubber may tear.

My press is available for anyone nearabouts to make use of. It is not portable though so you'd have to come to me!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...