Boot light switch?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Nuneatonrob
My Cars:

Boot light switch?

Post by Nuneatonrob »

Hi again, another quick question.....my boot light doesn't work. Same as my old 306. Replaced the bulb, no good.

Next thought is the switch...any ideas where this is? I have no idea at all. Can't see anything that resembles a switch anywhere.

Help!!

Thanks again,

Rob
Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Post by Toby_HDi »

It's actually a mercury tilt switch and it is in the tailgate itself. You need to take the trim off the inside of it to get to the switch.

It it is rectangle, rounded at one end and has a tab emerging from the side with the retaining screw and earth lead on it. Hopefully you can see what I mean from that
Ross_K
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 VTR+ HDi 1.6
2004 Toyota Prius
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 Twin Spark

Post by Ross_K »

Toby_HDi wrote:It's actually a mercury tilt switch and it is in the tailgate itself. You need to take the trim off the inside of it to get to the switch
:lol: What a hopelessly complicated method of turning the boot light on.

What's wrong with a spring-loaded switch which turns the light circuit off when the boot lid is closed? :roll:
ImageImage
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

These are notorious.

I went through three before finding one that works most of the time :twisted:

You can, with care, take them apart. Inside you'll find two ball bearings. A small one and a bigger one. The small one is there to give the bigger one a bit of a helping hand to bridge the contacts.

A clean-up of the balls and contacts often helps although full success is far from guaranteed.

Shame it's not a real mercury tilt switch. Those are totally reliable but somewhat dangerous if they spill the mercury...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Nuneatonrob
My Cars:

Post by Nuneatonrob »

Thanks very much folks....that's a great help!!! I shall investigate as soon as I can. Any idea how much these are from citroen / gsf or comparable?

Thanks guys.

Rob
Ross_K
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 VTR+ HDi 1.6
2004 Toyota Prius
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 Twin Spark

Post by Ross_K »

Number 2 on the diagram below is part number 636637. Should be about £16

[img][img]http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm12 ... 450800.jpg[/img][/img]
ImageImage
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Also check inside the rubber flexi conduits between the car and the boot.
I've had the rear brake light wire snap on one car (think it was Dex), and the rear wiper spray snap on my friend's Corsa, so it's possible that the wire has snapped.
A good gas soldering iron and a lot of patients combined with a second pair of hands helped.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

chaps,

If my boot light goes out, (with boot open) I can turn it back on by pressing the spring loaded plunger where the lock rests, anyone know why I can do this, but have a mecury tilt switch too? (at least I have been told I have a tilt switch)