New post flags don't work for me in Firefox

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

rowanmoor
My Cars:

New post flags don't work for me in Firefox

Post by rowanmoor »

This isn't really the correct place for this, but I can't find a more correct place, so here goes.

If I use firefox to browse the forum then it looses all my new-posts flags after the first page. If I use IE it works correctly and the new-post flags remain for the duration of the session.

Is it working correctly for anyone else using Firefox? Is there a known issue?
Cheers,
Rowan.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I use a variety of browsers including Firefox 3 Beta 5 on both Vista and Ubuntu Linux and have not experienced the problem you describe.
I also use Safari on Vista and Opera, Epiphany (a stripped-down Firefox) Konqueror and Kazahakase on Ubuntu and none throw up any problems.

I suspect it may be related to your cookies handling. Have a look through the settings and see if there is anything there
deian

Post by deian »

myglaren wrote:I use a variety of browsers including Firefox 3 Beta 5 on both Vista and Ubuntu Linux and have not experienced the problem you describe.
I also use Safari on Vista and Opera, Epiphany (a stripped-down Firefox) Konqueror and Kazahakase on Ubuntu and none throw up any problems.
And there was me thinking I was a geek for having Linux, but having 8 browsers over 2 OS's is really something else.

Anyway... I would say, the temp files are full. It seems to be an old issue that shouldn't happen with new browsers, but clearing your temp (or browser's cache) isn't a bad idea.

Try refreshing the page from the 'internet' rather than the 'browsers cache'... just hitting the refresh button is not sufficient, but hold down the 'Ctrl' key while pressing refresh... or simply 'Ctrl' + F5 at the same time, should get fresh stuff directly from the net for you, should fix the problem.

Failing that, log out of the site, close the browser, clear cookies, log back in, and see what happens.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

To add to what deian said, it is indeed a probability that the cache needs clearing. I have Firefox set to clean up after itself as it closes.
Tools/Options/Advanced/Network.
Which is quite different to Firefox 2 that has more options including clearing cookies.

Spybot Search And Destroy (get it from Download.com) will clear lots of crap that Windows is unaware of. Got to Advanced Mode/Tools/Secure Shredder (that must be downloaded as an addition to the current SD&D)

A similar excellent tool is CCleaner (get it from Filehippo.com) which is a mite more aggressive but very effective.
rowanmoor
My Cars:

Post by rowanmoor »

I have already tried clearing the cache and Ctrl-F5 and it doesn't seem to help. Unfortunatly I am usually using my work PC which is too locked down to let me use most of the usual rubbish cleaners.

I have found it is the same on my work PC and home PC though, which makes me think it could be one of the plugins I have loaded. I will have to run firefox without any to see if it works.
Cheers,
Rowan.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

After years of being devoted to IE and XP, after upgrading (?) to Vista I find IE under Vista is not compatible with MICROSOFT Outlook Web Access :twisted: :lol: :lol:

I have therefore just looked at alternative browsers and fallen in love with Opera. I too can confirm it works perfectly with the forum.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Been using Mozilla FireFox 2.0.0.14 (danish language) since primo March this year. No problems at all with FCF.
But had other initial problems :

Be sure that you keep your FF updated, and the usual basic cookie allowance is set.

I am aware that the Google toolbar may upset FF under certain web conditions. Also that WintendoXP can not always 100% accept other browsers automatically. Check program settings for browser, mail etc. - also check file type settings for related file types (web/html etc.).

I found the solutions to my FF problems here :
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Windows_error ... _-_Firefox
Which is one of the pages found on this website :
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Knowledge_Base

Keep asking until we find your problem - :wink:

(Moving subject thread to Chat forum -)
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
ellevie
My Cars:

Post by ellevie »

Opera has a really neat feature called "Fit to width" Ctrl+F11 which is very useful if somebody has posted a picture which is too wide for your screen.

This shrinks the picture and wraps the text to fit your screen.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

ellevie wrote: This shrinks the picture and wraps the text to fit your screen.
Wow! What a feature :D Thanks for that as I'd not found it.

I'm liking the Opera Browswer more and more each day and recommend it highly for anyone who just wants a simple, easy, straightforward Browswer that does exactly what it says on the tin.

Try as I might, FireFox and I just could not get on with each other and the Safari Browser was promptly deleted after viewing just one web page with it. Not my cup of tea at all although I think my kids would have loved it...

I'm starting to quite like MS Vista now as well but still have an XP machine on the network just in case.

One thing I do find is the Vista "Aero" display is much easier on the eye that the old XP one. Somehow less glaring and softer; it seems better for prolonged use.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
ellevie
My Cars:

Post by ellevie »

One thing that infuriates me about FireFox is that it doesn't linewrap long eBay urls
--- Opera and MSIE do this automatically.

There's a nice description of Opera here,
http://www.howtocreate.co.uk/operaStuff/aboutOpera.html
It makes some comparisons with FireFox,
although I believe the author works for Opera.
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

I have Vista on my laptop and I've seriously considered upgrading to XP.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
ellevie
My Cars:

Post by ellevie »

I'm still using Win98 :lol: .
I plan to upgrade to Win2000 soon.
lolingram
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by lolingram »

Prime example of an OXYMORON
after upgrading (?) to Vista
R.I.P. January 2010.
XM 2.1 auto VSX 1996 - Bosch Inj, Xantia HDi 90 estate 1999, Xantia 1.9TD 1997
Previously...
GS 1970, Dyane 1974, Xantia 94 VSX TD, XM 94, 2.1 auto - Lucas Inj, XM 92 2.1 estate - Lucas Inj