Radweld?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Barbarian

Radweld?

Post by Barbarian »

I bought some radweld as my radiator is leaking a bit. It says on the bottle to heat up the coolant and pour the radweld into the radiator. Does this mean just pour it into the coolant system where you normally would top it up or does this mean pour it into the radiator itself? If so how do u pour it into the actual radiator on the xantia 1.9td?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I've no experience with Radweld but I Know Barrs Leaks works.

If Radweld has little bits in it like Barrs, give the bottle a thorough shake up and warm it. Shake it again and just pour it into the expansion tank whilst the coolant is still warm. Water circulates around the expansion tank and anything added will get into the rad soon enough.

Alternatively, you could partially drain, slip off the top hose and pour it into the rad directly but if you go to this extent, you'd may as well drain completely and refill with the Radweld mixed in with new coolant straight into the expansion tank. Indeed it really is not a good idea to disturb rad hoses if you can avoid it, especially those with bayonet connectors although you might be safer puplling the top hose from the thermostat housing and poiring the Radweld in that way.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i have used K seal which is very good, with engine and K seal cold pull of the top hose from the thermostate houseing, and just pour it straight into the rad, it stoped the leak within two mins of running the engine, it is full of copper partcals, you can even use it with antifreeze, it says on the bottle its a permanant repaire
regards malcolm
lolingram
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by lolingram »

Well, it would , wouldn't it?
it says on the bottle its a permanant repaire
regards malcolm
R.I.P. January 2010.
XM 2.1 auto VSX 1996 - Bosch Inj, Xantia HDi 90 estate 1999, Xantia 1.9TD 1997
Previously...
GS 1970, Dyane 1974, Xantia 94 VSX TD, XM 94, 2.1 auto - Lucas Inj, XM 92 2.1 estate - Lucas Inj
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

I prefer to use Fortes radseal myself.. In fact I have often put it in old rads that were not leaking as a precation.. It's always worked fine for me..
James. (Nr M67 East of Manchester).
Dark Blue ZX 1.9D Auto 1994 'L' 5 dr (modified) Aura. 98K miles used daily. Ave mpg 40
Wedgewood Blue 75 CTD auto Connoissaur. 2002. 144k. used daily. ave mpg 40 ish.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

I used Celit on my radiator before I replaced it. The leak temporarily sealed up until it got hot and the pressure got up then it would leak again. One day after I parked the car, I could hear it spraying a jet of water out of the pinhole at the back of one of the headlights, then with the pressure bled off the leak stopped.

When I changed the rad, I noticed it was very heavy compared to the new one. It didn't drain freely and sludgy stuff came out that looked very like the Celit that I put in to fix the leak. I think too much radiator sealant will partially block a radiator...

If your rad is sound but has mechanically caused damage e.g. hit by a stone, radiator sealant will work fairly permanantly. If the rad is badly corroded it might extend its life by a short time but if the radiator needs replacing, it needs replacing.