Timing belt tensioners

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

roscopervis
My Cars:

Timing belt tensioners

Post by roscopervis »

Apparently I need a new timing belt tensioner. Now I don't know which one I need, though I suspect it is the one with springs as that one seems likely to be the one to stop tensioning.
Where (besides the useless Citroen garages) could I get these from. The engine is the 2.0 16v 150 hp version. Is the timing belt and assembly the same as that of the 1.8 16v?
Thanx
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

if this is a xantia were talking about DO NOT fit a 1.8 16v tensioner(or roller) to it as these were recalled due to snapping timing belts prematurley and were changed to spring loaded ones.the 2.0 16v still has the eccentric roller one.
roscopervis
My Cars:

Post by roscopervis »

I know there are two tensioners on my Xantia. One seems just to be a solid roller and the other has springs. I think that the springs are worn and thus i need a new one.
The question is where can I get one from besides Citroen?
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Are you talking about the auxiliiary drive belt, rather than the timing belt - the one that drives the alternator, HP pump and compressor?
If so, the spring tensioner is only availble from Citroen (for a TD anyway - I helped a mate change one) and it's a 3+ hour job to change it as you have to take the HP pump and alternator off.
Richard
roscopervis
My Cars:

Post by roscopervis »

The curse of rarity strikes again! It is definately the timing belt that I need a tensioner for. I see that the online shop has timing belt tensioners for a 2.0 16v but I am not sure which tensioner it is and for what engine. I can't understand the > and <'s! I know i'm thick but I need to know.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

the timing belt tensioner on the xantia 2.0 16v is not spring loaded,it is tensioned manually with a square spanner.unless anyone knows any different ?
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

i would say it's part number N13178 (on andyspares) if the car was made after september 1995. i notice it lists the same tensioner for both the 1.8 & 2.0 16v's.like i said above the 1.8 16v ones were changed to a different spec due to snapped t/belts so i don't know if this is correct ?
roscopervis
My Cars:

Post by roscopervis »

It is the 150hp engine so was made before 1995. That is why I think it is spring loaded (Haynes doesnt cover this engine in the Xantia Book :()
So the answer then is only Citroen do this part.
Dammit!