Xsara 2002 HDI-110 sudden consumption of water

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ebod
My Cars:

Xsara 2002 HDI-110 sudden consumption of water

Post by ebod »

Hi all,
I've not visited this forum for ages, which can be attributed to 18 months trouble free running from my Xsara. Its now done 120000 miles

However recently the water light came on . It took a half a kettle of water to top up, and this is the first time its ever need it.

A few weeks later ( last night ) it came on again and this time it took nearly a kettle full.

I watch the temp guage and it never gets hot, it hovers around and just over the 1/4 mark. I occasionally trip on the A/C in traffic just to kick the fan into action.

I can see traces of crystalised fluid around the expensaion tank but now other visible signs of leakage.

Can anyone advise if this particular model is infamous for cooling problems or silly little things like expansion tank caps leaking under pressure ? Alternatively could the thermostat be not opening enough in trafiic and causing a back pressure??

Pls advise
Thx
lolingram
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by lolingram »

Take a careful look around the water pump area - hoses as well as seal leakage. From what you say bit seems unlikey to be head gasket.
Hi all,
I've not visited this forum for ages, which can be attributed to 18 months trouble free running from my Xsara. Its now done 120000 miles

However recently the water light came on . It took a half a kettle of water to top up, and this is the first time its ever need it.

A few weeks later ( last night ) it came on again and this time it took nearly a kettle full.

I watch the temp guage and it never gets hot, it hovers around and just over the 1/4 mark. I occasionally trip on the A/C in traffic just to kick the fan into action.

I can see traces of crystalised fluid around the expensaion tank but now other visible signs of leakage.

Can anyone advise if this particular model is infamous for cooling problems or silly little things like expansion tank caps leaking under pressure ? Alternatively could the thermostat be not opening enough in trafiic and causing a back pressure??
R.I.P. January 2010.
XM 2.1 auto VSX 1996 - Bosch Inj, Xantia HDi 90 estate 1999, Xantia 1.9TD 1997
Previously...
GS 1970, Dyane 1974, Xantia 94 VSX TD, XM 94, 2.1 auto - Lucas Inj, XM 92 2.1 estate - Lucas Inj
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

Are there any signs of coolant in the footwells? Xsaras can suffer with leaking heater matrixes unfortunately.
ebod
My Cars:

Post by ebod »

Ive just done the 36mile trip home on the M62 and then checked under the bonnet.

There is definately a trace of water coming from the tank lid. As soon as I open the bonnet there is that whiff of radiator water on the o/s inner wing.

So its back to my original question, i.e could it be that the tank/cap are failing under pressure ?
lolingram
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by lolingram »

Cap is possible... but more likely something else IMHO... if you can smell of Afreeze, I would say you have a leak somewhere. However a very slow head gasket failure should not be excluded.

Good luck!
ve just done the 36mile trip home on the M62 and then checked under the bonnet.

There is definately a trace of water coming from the tank lid. As soon as I open the bonnet there is that whiff of radiator water on the o/s inner wing.

So its back to my original question, i.e could it be that the tank/cap are failing under pressure ?
R.I.P. January 2010.
XM 2.1 auto VSX 1996 - Bosch Inj, Xantia HDi 90 estate 1999, Xantia 1.9TD 1997
Previously...
GS 1970, Dyane 1974, Xantia 94 VSX TD, XM 94, 2.1 auto - Lucas Inj, XM 92 2.1 estate - Lucas Inj
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Time to do the quick HG tests I'm afraid.....

1. Is it still holding pressure when cold?
2. When cold, release any pressure, refit cap, run engine for 1 minute - is there pressure in the tank?
3. Cap off, engine running - are there bubbles coming up into the header tank?

If the answer to any of the above is yes, then it's probably time to decapitate it :roll: Whilst not as bad as the XUDT the HDi is by no means immune from HG failure.....
Richard W
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Sorry, but it sounds like the head gasket to me.
f00lzz
My Cars:

Post by f00lzz »

I believe the expansion tank on some variants can split at the 'joint' my V6 has had two tanks in its life, year 2001 ... and if anyone is interested also the last Xantia V6 imported by Citroen UK !!!!
Ian
Account Ref: 6419

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
2001 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1999 Xantia 1.9TD
1997 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1995 XM 3.0 Exclusive Estate
ebod
My Cars:

Post by ebod »

I'm buying a new cap in the morning and will run it for a few days to see what happens.

Its having its 3rd MOT tomorrow a.m. and the gargae bloke reckons it would be in the ~£400 quid area as he has to send the head off for checking/skimming.

Does £400 seem steep ?
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

£400.00 Sounds quite reasonable for a head gasket job. They wanted £1,000 to do my XM, so I did it myself and found out why they wanted £1k!
ebod
My Cars:

Post by ebod »

If the car has done 120k miles and its about to have a big pot of money spend on it, what other things should I get replaced eg pulleys , water pump etc ?
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Water pump, idler and tensioner should do it, and cam belt of course!
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

Have you made any progress on this? I've replied to my Hdi Head Gasket topic over on the Peugeot forum after you left a reply.
2003 Xsara HDi 110 - Commuting Hack

http://www.rossy.org.uk/ - 205 Track car progress
ebod
My Cars:

Post by ebod »

just to keep it in the Cit forum I've copied your original post below:

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=20928

Yep, although its holding stable temperature commuting to Leeds, it definately gives a big 'pssst' when opening cap when cold. There is a smell of anti-freeze when I get out of the car.

Whilst its in dock I'm going to get as much stuff sorted eg :
belts/pulleys , water pump , p/s pump , clutch kit. It could go into £600+ but I will keep it a few more years to get my money out of it.
( its the potential chances of it getting wrote off in a slam that bugs me, as I spent £500+ on my last car and it got wrote of months later )

I've not owned a 206 , so can't compare. However it was the Parkers web info which made me set my sights on a Xsara HDI-110. Its 0-60 is 10 seconds.Also its brakes are shared with the VTS.
Although its quick, I find it a bit unstable at motorway spends
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

Thats odd, mine is as stable as anythingup to highly illegal speeds. At 120k I'd look at the wishbone bushes, they cause exactly those symptoms when worn.... (Following lorry ruts, general fidgiting around at speed)

Let us know how the head gasket saga continues!
2003 Xsara HDi 110 - Commuting Hack

http://www.rossy.org.uk/ - 205 Track car progress