Sunroof Stuck

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

awg2

Sunroof Stuck

Post by awg2 »

The electric sunroof on my Xantia stuck last night.. It is the factory fitted tilt/slide version which slides into the roof. It is used regularly (both tilt and slide).

It had been working perfectly earlier yesterday. However when I shut the tilt, opened the slide slightly and then tried to shut the slide there was no response (movement or noise).

When I got home I tried the electric control several times to no effect. Assuming an electrical problem I tried the manual wind key. There is only about a quarter turn of movement on the key and NO movement at all from the sunroof. I have had no indication of any problem with the sunroof before.

Job one is to close the roof as I have managed to choose the rainy season to enjoy this fault. Job to is dagnosis and fix. Suggestions?
C5 2l 2001 130K - daily use X-country (must change job)
Xantia 1.9TD Estate VSX 1995 111k - daily use X-county
3xBX 1xGS 1x16 TS - oh that was a Renault
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

No sound from the motor would generally indicate a faulty switch, the motors are generally very reliable, but, the fact you cant move it with the handle would suggest that the operating cable has broken - not an easy job, I'm afraid.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

This picture of the general arrangement of the sunroof may just help...

And another...

Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
awg2

Post by awg2 »

Thanks for this, especially the diagram! This morning I missed the button for the rear window and hit the sunroof one by mistake. Roof slid back a bit before I removed my finger. Moved forward and then stuck again. It looks as if it is at the point at which the whole thing moves up to lie flush with the roof. Closer investigation in daylight follows.
awg2

Post by awg2 »

Grrr. Now it's stuck a little further open which makes it a problem parking in public with an 'ole in the roof.

I have been peering into the opening in the roof where the motor is and I can't find how the drive gets to the moving panel. Looking at the diagrams hasn't helped much. I guess I'm looking for a sheathed cable going from above the round bit where the winding handle goes but it's a bit dark in there and not a lot of room.

I'm trying to work out a way of at least getting the thing closed so the car is secure.
Dave1

Post by Dave1 »

Not sure where you are at with this now but if you are stuck I suggest you remove the motor from inside the car, undo the retaining screws which hold the glass in place and remove that if possible. With a bit of gentle force you should be able to push the cables back and forth. Depends how bad they are stuck. If you are lucky and you should be then you can re-seat the glass in the correct place.

The bit you should be moving is part 4 in the diagram. If you you can get some oil in there then great. If you are really lucky the roof may work again. I suspect a cable is worn though.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Have you mislaid the emergency winder handle ?
Usually it will rattle around in the bottom of the glovebox. I seem to remember it has a dedicated store clip in the glovebox, exactly to avoid rattles.

As you can see on the diagram (item 2), there is a driver relay for the motor. This means that the operating switch rarely is the problem, as the contact sets only carries the small relay coil currents.

I suspect you may have a problem with corrosion in some of the connectors, or even a burnd out realy contact set. Could also be the motor thats got worn brushes.
The relay is a special double changeover relay, to make it a polarity shifter for the motor. It can easily be replaced by 2 standard switchover relays, if you are a wizzard on car electrics.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
awg2

Post by awg2 »

Anders,
I have the emergency handle. Whole thing is jammed solid.

Dave 1,
Thanks for the idea. I was at that exquisite stage of being about to bang my head on the wall. I shall try your suggestion tomorrow morning.

Meanwhile I have to go out with a plank and a bin bag to hold off the (un)seasonal weather. I have plenty of time to do the job as all my regattas have been cancelled.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Jammed solid ? :shock:

Eeeeeeek, thats a serious overhaul job then :roll:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Gammy leg
My Cars:

Post by Gammy leg »

From recollection when my Synergie sunroof went into complete ga-ga mode, the operation of the manual winder was incredibly difficult. Not suggesting that you attack it with a hammer but it certainly needed a great amount of muscle to shift it.

Gammy
awg2

Post by awg2 »

I am at the hammer stage :x
Dave1

Post by Dave1 »

If you try and turn it manually whilst jammed it will damage the teeth on the cog of the motor. Do as I said. You should be able to get the cables moving. May even have to place something solid on the base of part number 4 and give it a tap initally just to get it moving. Once moved you should be able to push the cable along. If you look inside the car when this is done you can see the cable moving where the motor sits and may be able to identify any damage. I do think you will need a new cable in the end though :cry:
lewpy

Sunroof Stuck

Post by lewpy »

This happened to mine 2 weeks ago with exactly the same symptoms whilst away from home .

Mine also was locked solid in the fully open position and the manual winder would not budge it .

To cut a very long story short , with the ignition on and the sunroof switch depressed , I tapped the sunroof motor with an adjustable spanner ( all I had at the time and it was starting to rain) very sharply .

Bingo . it's worked perfectly ever since !

An electrician friend of mine suggests that the sunroof motor is possibly of a poor quality and may get stuck
" between poles " from time to time ?
Seems feasable as all the electrical connections were perfect , nothing intermittant or loose .

Nowadays I keep it liberally oiled and greased and operate it at least once a week .
fred1

Post by fred1 »

Used to have a similar problem on mine.

Temporary solution was to open the roof on tilt then give it a sharp rap on the rear edge on each side to push it forward a little. This seemed to realign things and it would then close.

Never solved the problem and have now stopped using it and disconnected the switch.

regards

John
awg2

Post by awg2 »

Weather's turning. I'm not touching it until global warming's taken effect. Knowing my luck we'll be getting hot and wet rather than hot and dry. 8)