Iffy Key

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

stevenlizuk
My Cars:

Iffy Key

Post by stevenlizuk »

Hello All,

I'm new to the world of Pug after defecting from the Xantia world.

My new (to me) 406lx has the high frequency keys of which only one works, can I reprogram the car to accept the duff key?

As always any tips are appreciated.

Steve
98 406 Estate LX 2.1td in white (Anyone call Ghostbusters?)

97 Xantia SX 2.1td (Chipped and happy at 130mph) Deceased after agricultural incident (crashed into field).
1981 Mini HL (Just happy to be around)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

That sounds like a transponder key. If so, it is usually a dealer-only job I'm afraid to say although David Humphery in his 306 appears to have had it done by an Indie. He may mean just reprogramming the plip though.

The transponder insert will need replacing in the key and this effectively means a new key. To program you also need the ECU transponder code originally supplied with the car.

I have this problem with one of my Xantia keys. The Stealer quoted me nigh-on £100 to get the code, which I don't have, a new key and programming :o :o
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
stevenlizuk
My Cars:

Post by stevenlizuk »

Hi Jim,
Thanks for the info.
The key does start the car it just wont work the central locking.
Tried changing the battery but no change.

???

Cheers
Steve

97 Xantia SX 2.1td (Chipped and happy at 130mph) Deceased after agricultural incident (crashed into field).
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

stevenlizuk wrote:Hi Jim,
Thanks for the info.
The key does start the car it just wont work the central locking.
Tried changing the battery but no change.

???

Cheers
Steve
Ahh, that's good news. The expensive transponder bit works the engine immobiliser and in yours all is happy :)

There is a procedure for getting the Central Locking/Alarm part of the key back into sync. I'm not sure if Pug is the same as a Cit but I would imagine it is. My owners manual tells how so I guess yours will too. Mine is inaccessible just now but I'll dig it out in a bit and detail the procedure.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Brian UK
My Cars:

Post by Brian UK »

Brian.
stevenlizuk
My Cars:

Post by stevenlizuk »

Thanks Brian and Jim,

I'll have a play with it tonight and no doubt end up with the car immobilized in the drive. :wink:

Cheers

Steve