Knocking Xantia 2.1TD Exclusive

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

HST

Knocking Xantia 2.1TD Exclusive

Post by HST »

The car is making knocking noises, I think from the front left. It is speed related, maybe 1-2 knocks per second at just over walking pace, increasing somewhat with speed. It doesn't seem related to bumps in the road & continues when declutched. Any ideas??
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

From your description, it sounds like a worn driveshaft. Does the noise increase when turning?
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
HST

Post by HST »

DickieG wrote:From your description, it sounds like a worn driveshaft. Does the noise increase when turning?
Not noticeably: if anything it can decrease.
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

HST wrote:
DickieG wrote:From your description, it sounds like a worn driveshaft. Does the noise increase when turning?
Not noticeably: if anything it can decrease.
OK I should have asked does the noise vary? The point that the noise does vary indicates that the driveshaft is more than likely the cause.

What you could do is to jack the front of the car up (both wheels properly supported on axle stands) and get an assistant to 'drive' the car whilst you observe the driveshaft, it should run 'true' but if faulty, may 'wobble', and listen for the source of the noise etc.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
deian

Post by deian »

how about the wheel balancing?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Foreign object (stone) trapped in the tyre ?
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
HST

Post by HST »

Ok, the rain has stopped & I've had a chance to look at the car. The answer has me a little confused as it looks like it was down to loose wheel bolts. The reason I'm confused is that the car has sat for about a week & was OK when I parked, but was making the noise as soon as I drove off. I'm used to local ne'er do wells messing with my bike, but it'll be a real pain if I have to keep checking my wheel bolts..

There was no vibration driving or odd sensations apart from the noise.
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

HST wrote:Ok, the rain has stopped
Rain? What's that :? I've just put the BBQ on :D

Bad news about the Yobbo's :evil: at least you've sorted it out.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

That is odd :?

The only explanation I can offer is that of expansion/contraction. Could the wheelnuts last have been tightened when the weather was hot and the wheels warm? Perhaps it is now colder where you are, especially if it has been raining and the contraction of the alloy wheel was just enough to loosen the nuts, along with a bit of roadgoing vibration over a period of time. Lorries and trailers (caravans even) suffer this and hence why all lorry and bus wheels have those little yellow pointers on their nuts to see at a glance if they have loosened.

Else, it's your local neighbourhood vandals :o :wink:

Speaking of rain, where are you? It has been dry for weeks upon weeks down around here, so bad we have cracks in the lawn...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
deian

Post by deian »

Rain here as well... i just sold my 2.1TD Exclusive last night, it's gone and i feel weird about it.
HST

Post by HST »

I'm in Aberdeen, where rain is not unknown! Even though it's been wet yesterday (and this morning) it's also been warm: I had the aircon on for my quick drive round the block for a good listen.