Locks & Keys/Fobs

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

SteveG

Locks & Keys/Fobs

Post by SteveG »

Hi there oh wise and experienced ones :)

Does anyone know if the ignition switch, door locks and remote key fobs from a series 2 Xantia will fit and work in a series 1 vehicle? Also, is it likely to be a pain in the rear to make the swap if they do fit/work?

Thanks for any advise :)
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

Not the fobs. Mark 2 uses a radio type fob and the Mark 1 and infra red type. the door locks look the same but not sure about the ignition.

Why do you want to know? What is wrong with your old locks?
Neil
Now Citrtoenless
SteveG

Post by SteveG »

BonceChops wrote:Not the fobs. Mark 2 uses a radio type fob and the Mark 1 and infra red type. the door locks look the same but not sure about the ignition.

Why do you want to know? What is wrong with your old locks?
Thanks for that, it pretty much confirms what I had thought would be the case.

I have the dreaded duff ignition switch contacts affecting the blower and heated rear window. Chatting to a friend the other day about installing a relay to overcome the problem (see other threads on the subject) he offered me a set of locks and fobs from a 2000MY Xantia - if they worked.

Looks like it's time to brush up on my soldering skills :D
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

Has he given you the switch part of the ignition. It should be removable and fit your ignition barrel/key. It is only the switch part you need not the whole ignition lock. I hope that makes sense.
Neil
Now Citrtoenless
SteveG

Post by SteveG »

BonceChops wrote:Has he given you the switch part of the ignition. It should be removable and fit your ignition barrel/key. It is only the switch part you need not the whole ignition lock. I hope that makes sense.
I get what you're saying BonceChops but he was only prepared to part with the goods if I could make use of everything and as the fobs are RF rather than IR he gets to keep it all. He's a good mate so I'm not prepared to say I'll use it all if I don't/can't.
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

Have you tried a breakers yard for a replacement switch from a newer model?
Neil
Now Citrtoenless
birstall

Post by birstall »

If you can get hold of a second hand back bit of the ignition switch (I think they call it the "black box") you should be able to fix the problem without having to change the actual ignition barrel and locks. I did it myself on a 1994 Xantia a couple of years back with the same problem. You have to be careful because there are two or three different types with different lengths of leads so make sure you swap like for like.

I believe that it's usually one of the little bow shaped spring steel bits inside the switch that either cracks or gives due to fatigue.

Alternatively, if you can get hold of two duff ones, I could reassemble them for you into one (hopefully) working one. It's a bit fiddly so I wouldn't try it yourself unless you've got clever fingers (or a manufacturer's jig).
Current: C5 HDI Exclusive Saloon
Past : C5 HPI Exclusive Saloon
C5 HPI Exclusive Est
Xantia 1.9TD VSX
BX 1.7 TZD