Xsara VTR Coupe?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

boroboy

Xsara VTR Coupe?

Post by boroboy »

Hi all,
I'm having a look at a 2001 reg Xsara 1.6 VTR Coupe tomorrow, it has 82,000 miles on the clock. Just had 4 new tyres & a timing belt.

Is there anything specific I should be looking out for? Any common faults.

Thanks.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Is that the Mk 1 or Mk 2 ? if it's a Mk1 then nothing really apart from the usual stuff and the MAP sensor keeping the revs either up, down or all over the place. Both my Xsara VTR's were great no probs apart from the MAP sensors. :)
The wifes got a C4 I've got a ZX TD SX!!!!
Kitch
My Cars:

Post by Kitch »

Head gasket. I've seen quite a few TU's fail early if they don't have the right coolant mix. Not really a problem as they're very easy to fix and I've never seen a petrol head get warped.
Stepper motor is a common thing, as are the two coolant sensors on the thermostat housing on the side of the head. Ones blue and ones green IIRC.
And noisy clutch thrust bearings.
1991 Citroen BX 16valve

1998 Citroen Xsara 1.9TD SX

1993 Peugeot 106 XSi

1995 TVR Chimaera 400
boroboy

Post by boroboy »

Thanks for the advice guys.

Had a look at that mk2 vtr a couple of days ago, 2001 with 85,000 on the clock, wanted £2000. Initially I thought it was a good price, after driving it I gave it a miss. Air bag warning light permanently on, very stiff clutch, front disc judder under braking & body work not too good. Obviously had a tired life. Not as advertised, 4 worn tyres & not in excellent cond & guy forgot to tell me about the airbag warning light.