BX Diesel starting problems

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

beemernut
My Cars:

BX Diesel starting problems

Post by beemernut »

Got a problem starting the BX - starter motor turns but the engine will not fire up. Glowplugs and filter have been replaced, I primed the filter whilst trying to start this morning. Engine turns over, will not start and the sound whilst the starter was turning over was different to the normal sound when it would start.

Any idea what the cause is?

Many thanks
BX 19 Meteor Diesel 1990
BX 19 TRS 1987
BX 17TZD Estate 1992
XM 2.0SI Mark 1 1990
In the words of OGRI "Stuff Everything - I've always got my bike" (or should that be Bike & Citroens?)
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Do some simple checks :

Check there is voltage present on your shining new glow plugs. They need power you know :wink:

Sit down by your dining table - with a pen and paper. Then think-think-think-think-think-think : what did you dismantle to change those glowplugs ? Write it down - every single word valid for the process.
Then check all bits related.

Its unbelieveable how many new problems we introduce when we solve one problem as diy'ers :lol:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
beemernut
My Cars:

BX Starting Problems

Post by beemernut »

When I changed the glowplugs, there was a slight improvement in starting, but starting the engine required the engine to be cranked for a short period of time. This has worked, but occasionally the starter motor would not turn at all when the engine was hot.

Could it be a problem with the glowplug black box (by the battery)?

My wife said that there was a noise upon starting last night before the engine stalled and wouldn't restart - this is when the engine would turn over but not start
BX 19 Meteor Diesel 1990
BX 19 TRS 1987
BX 17TZD Estate 1992
XM 2.0SI Mark 1 1990
In the words of OGRI "Stuff Everything - I've always got my bike" (or should that be Bike & Citroens?)
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

My wife said that there was a noise upon starting last night before the engine stalled and wouldn't restart - this is when the engine would turn over but not start
Oh dear, maybe.

You now say the thing doesnt sound the same when turning over? Has the cam belt snapped?
"Rust Never Sleeps" said Neil Young. Did he own old citroens?
1998 Xantia TD exclusive auto estate +3 x BX's +77' ami 8 break + 73' dyane 6 + '83 2CV6 + 94' XM 2.1 sx auto + 89' XM2.0i
+ '85' GSA + '97 XM 2.0 16v + '81 Visa super E
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

My thoughts exactly. Is the engine turning over much faster and more smoothly than it was?
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Or has the alternator seized? This happened on my BX TD and it stalled the engine, and refused to start until the belt was disconnected - it would turn over, but not fast enough to start the engine.
Richard W
beemernut
My Cars:

BX Diesel Starting Problems

Post by beemernut »

The car (untilyesterday) has been running fine apart from the odd time when the starter had seized temporarily due to heat.

The change in noise is as if the starter is turning slightly slower and you do not get the feedback of the engine just as it is about to try to catch. That is why I thought the car had an air block in the fuel line - it just turned over and would not start catching

From memory there has not been any noises that I would expect from the cam belt going (the crash of pistons against valves). The engine seems to be turning over in the normal fashion.
BX 19 Meteor Diesel 1990
BX 19 TRS 1987
BX 17TZD Estate 1992
XM 2.0SI Mark 1 1990
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

So the engine is turning over normally- Have you checked the cut-off solenoid on the pump? i don't know what your pump is, but on a Bosch one it's easily visible on top at the opposite end to the sprocket, with a (usually) brown wire going to it. I'm not sure where it is on a Lucas pump, however.

It's what stops your engine running when you turn it off and if this isn't working properly, fuel won't get pumped through and it won't start. it may also be intermittent.......

First check-hot wire it directly from the battery with a length of wire and see if that makes a difference to starting. If it does, then you've probably got a fault in the 'ignition' (for want of a better word) circuit.

They also easily come out so you can do a physical eyeball check that they are working by connecting to the battery and earthing.

Easily and cheaply available if the thing is busted!!
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I think the CAV one is the same..... Is there any exhaust smoke when the engine is turning over? If not, there is no fuel going in.. see above..if you have white smoke the fuel is going in but not burning which could mean duff glow plugs or too slower cranking speed... battery?
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

Have you checked out the stop solenoid? It may be that the fuse has blown to it or the cable has snapped.
No power to the solenoid means no start

Paul
1xAmi,3xGS,2xBx,2xAX,2xSaxo,1xXantia mk I,2xXantia MkII,1xC1,2xC2,
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

may be the cam belt has jumpt a couple of teeth,i would check the cam belt timing,or maybe even the starter motor brushes are worn out
regards malcolm