CV boot question

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

smashymike

CV boot question

Post by smashymike »

Well now ... the missus's Xsara went in for MOT today and duly failed - nearside CV boot insecurely mounted, ie not where it should be. Now we know what that 'tinkling' noise was which eventually disappeared. Must've been the original clip. Bl**dy hell i said, have i got to come back? Yup was the answer. Clean it, grease it and stiick a cable tie on and bring it back he said. Now then ... clean it, no problem. Grease it? I checked and theres not much grease left inside so how much is enough? Presume CV specific grease? And the age old problem of cable ties. These cars seem to rip off a cable tie as much as look at one so my question is what size is optimal width? I know its a daft question but if i stick a small rubber band of a tie on will it pass or do i need a more meaty 8mm or even 12mm? He failed both sides even though drivesr side looks as dry as a bone to me. Must have caught him having an off day as he didn't want to know when i asked if he could fix it today. I'm assuming it would have taken about 15mins to do? Probelme is i've got to get it back in within two days for a free retest and its the Arsenal game tomorrow night so i'm only going to get an hour at this and want it to be done right. Any hints or tips on what the tester might crib at next? Cheers .

Update .. i've just checked and i've only got slim ties that'll fit around the circumference. Any problem if i use two of these. Or is this just a bodge and will be failed for what it is?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Mike -

Cable ties are about the cheapest spare parts in the world - honestly :lol:
Find, gauge or calculate the correct width & lenght of the cable ties needed - then purchase a few !
My gueestimate you need some 8mmx60mm cable ties.

The grease to use is any standard grease for joints, ballbearings etc - known as Molykote (MoSO2 - molybdene disulfide) - the wellknown black grease. Can be purchased in tubes where you get standard parts for cars.
Last edited by AndersDK on 18 May 2006, 00:00, edited 1 time in total.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

I've use cable ties for CV boots several times, usually joining two end to end and they've never been mentioned at MOT times.
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

It is possible (but a bit tricky) to use the proper Ligarex (sp?) and tension it manually with pliers if you prefer.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Some service manuals advise against using zip ties to hold boots on and insist they need the metal ones due to them getting a bit soft and pliable when they get hot.
I have had them supplied with metal straps (aluminium) but not the Ligarex style. By the same token, I've also seen zip ties used as a permanent measure to hold rdiator fans in place so it obviously depends on whether your man has a bit of a fettish against them. I doubt that one about 6 or 8mm wide would do much stretching once in place but suggest a phone call and simply ask him if he will accept them.

Alan S
RIP Sept 19th 2008.

She said "Put the cat out" She didn't mention it was on fire!!
smashymike

Post by smashymike »

Thanks all ... from whats been said i think this guy must've just been having a bad day. I've stripped down the boot, cleaned it up and am going to fit a 12mm cable tie. Should just about hold everything in place and looks juts about the correct width for the boot lip. Had a quick squint inside and theres not a lot of grease. Just a smidge on the joint itself. Should i fill the boot with black grease or just put about a couple of golf ball sized chunks in there. Doubt it'll get opened for some time ... it's going in again tomorrow afternoon. Keep you posted.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Cable ties will be fine- all the test requires is that the boots aren't split, and that they are secure. How you secure them is up to you.

The amount of grease isn't critical, as long as there's some there. just push some into the joint before putting the boot back on. You usually get a fat sachet of it about 2 inches long with a new joint, so its probably about a capucino cups'worth.

Don't completely fill the boot with it- it'll just make a horrible sticky mess going back on as it's displaced by the joint.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

99% of the time when cable ties have been used they do not hold the C/V boot tight enough,so the greas leeks and that sould then fail the MOT,ligerx is the best option
regards malcolm
smashymike

Post by smashymike »

Aaarrrrggghhh .... didn't quite make it to the MOT because i can't get the boot secured properly!! Cable tied it, looked aok but when i put full lock on to test, boingggg, off it comes. Did this three times before i gave up on it. There's no play in the boot to allow it to flex when on full lock. Checked the drivers side and it looks like the inner clip on that side has a bit more 'loose' in it so it slides along the shaft when on full lock allowing the hub end a bit more play so i tried to move the nearside a bit. No go, its solid. So, any ideas. I'm thinking i'll have to break the clip on the inner shaft end and replace it with a cable tie to see if all will hold together but i've not got much hope. Looks like i need a new 'wire' clip like the original. Where from though?
smashymike

Post by smashymike »

Citronut - how did you time that reply! You been watching Eurovision? You're right of course, cable ties ain't hacking it. Where do i get this liger stuff and how is it fixed. Will i need to garage my missus's car to have this done?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Ligarex strapping is available at most car and tool stores. You will also need the special purpose pliers for the job. Try GSF, Eurocarpart etc.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Are you sure that you've got the correct size boot? In many years of using plastic cable ties, I've never had one start leaking or come adrift.
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Me and me' mate have done a couple of boots and have always used cable ties, never encountered a problem thought!
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Did you degrease the lip of the boot and the flange before fitting? Grease can make the boot so slippery that it's very difficult to secure properly.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

99% of the time when cable ties have been used they do not hold the C/V boot tight enough,so the greas leeks and that sould then fail the MOT
Well I've had one on for 80000 miles now with no problem....you do need to use decently thick ones though, pull them up tight, and like Dnsey says it has to be clean.