306 Coil pack failure.

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Linchpin

306 Coil pack failure.

Post by Linchpin »

Hi guys, homefully someone can help me out here before i spend too much cash!

My 306 isnt right, the symptoms are as follows.

1. Juddery when pulling off, this only happens in 1st gear, and is gone once the clutch is fully up. Odd, if you pull off in 2nd, it doesnt do it.

I dont think its the clutch, becouse if i pull off at over 2000rpm, no judder.

2. I left the car for 5 days, and then it didnt start very well. I normally drive the car every day so i dont notice, but due to illness it was left standing. It was mis-firing and spluttering, untill i took it around the block, then all was well again.

The car doesnt pull like it should, especially at low RPM's. It feels as if some turbo kicks in (i wish!) at 2500 rpm ish, kinda ties in with the pulling off thing.

I had the car code-read by a Diag2000 machine before, due to an idle fault and had the idle controller replaced, thats all OK now.

Im 99% sure the car still has its original coil pack on (thats the bit that connects to the spark plugs, yes?)

Plugs, etc have been changed recently and this made no difference. Oddly, the car seems to judder less when she is cold (maybe related to the sam higher RPM thing whilst the choke is on).

Sorrry this is so long winded, i wanted to post as much info as possible!

Thanks again guys (and gals!)

Kev
Linchpin

Post by Linchpin »

Sorry, forgot to add.

Its a 97 P reg XSi (16V, the 130ish BHP engine).

Feels more like 30 bhp at the moment!

Its done 109k miles.
Paul Mi16

Post by Paul Mi16 »

I've not heard on the coil pack on the XSi giving any trouble, and my '98 Xsi is on its original. I would suggest getting it diagnosed again before spending your money.
Linchpin

Post by Linchpin »

Was it not the 306 16V that had the faulty Sagem coilpack fitted?

Im sure i read that somewhere... maybe not.
Paul Mi16

Post by Paul Mi16 »

I think that relates to the 1.4 and 1.6 Tu engined models. The good news is the 406 1.8 and 2.0 model is fitted with the same coil pack if you go the secondhand route, but make sure its the earlier type as there are two types.

Paul.
Linchpin

Post by Linchpin »

Ah Ok.

So say it was a faulty coil pack, what are the symptoms?

Does it tie in with what i described?

Thanks for the help.
Paul Mi16

Post by Paul Mi16 »

Symptoms could include a misfire, lumpy running, and the problem gets worse when the engine is warmed up. It would do it at higher rpm and in all gears as well.
Linchpin

Post by Linchpin »

Ah OK.

I took it back to the guys with thie Diag2k machine, they are going to hook it back up and see what goes.

He said i didnt have the sagem coilpack type engine either, so thats a good sign.

Cheers for the help paul.

Kev