Hydraulic fluid frothing

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

robzondrumz

Hydraulic fluid frothing

Post by robzondrumz »

Hi,
I wonder if anyone can help me with my xantia. Brakes started to grab and bind and when I looked in the reservoir the fluid was bubbling away like mad. I then tried to bleed the brakes and the fluid came out like guinness!! System is getting loads of air in it somewhere but I have run out of ideas on the problem. Can anyone help??

thanks

Rob
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Hey Rob, nice to see you made it...probably worth just stating the exact model/spec of the car to save confusion.
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
robzondrumz

Post by robzondrumz »

sorry its a 1.9 diesel xantia

Rob
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

You have an air leak on the inlet side of the pump. With luck its the hose and tightening or if there is enough pipe, cutting off the ends so that fresh pipe is used may solve the problem. It is possible that the hose itself if porous - in which case for diagnostic purposes it can be replaced with a clean section of garden hose.

Some xantias have a pump on which the inlet pipe arrangement can crack and fall off. Careful inspection may show up a crack.
jeremy
robzondrumz

Post by robzondrumz »

thanks for the quick response, Will have a look at the pipes to the hydraulic pump tomorrow in the daylight. I guess the inlet is plastic and outlet is metal to take the pressure. Will post tomorrow what I find.
thanks
Rob
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

The pump inlet hose is generally black rubber (its not in fact rubber) and looks like a heater hose. (Don't substitute heater hose - its probably soluble in LHM)

To expel gas try Citroebics - raising and lowering the car fully many times - this causes the LHm to circulate and carry the gas out with it. You may get away without bleeding the limbs going to the brakes if you are lucky. You will probably have to prime the pump - open the pressure relief screw on the regulator - 1/2 or so - NO MORE otherwise a ball bearing will fall out - start the engine, fill the reservoir end of the pump supply pipe with LHM and fit it to the reservoir quickly and tighten the clip. Let the engine idle for a couple of minutes and then close the pressure relief screw. - The car should now rise.
jeremy
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

That inlet hose can crack and go pourous, so give it a good inspection and bend it if possible. this will show the cracks.
robzondrumz

Post by robzondrumz »

thanks Peter and Jeremy for your help, was getting a bit dark to have a good look today. Will give the hoses a look at the weekend.
cheers

Rob
robzondrumz

Post by robzondrumz »

Replaced the black hose from reservoir to hydraulic pump and i am still getting lots of tiny bubbles in the reservoir. They start coming through as the system pressurises. Any other thoughts?
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Presumably both ends are clamped nice and tight with jubile clips ?

Did you prime the new pipe by pouring LHM into both ends before attaching them ?

When you first replace the inlet pipe you need to idle the engine for several minutes with the pressure regulator bleed screw open (half a turn) so that there is no load on the pump and all the air can return to the tank.

When I replaced the LHM in the tank on mine (and in the process got air into the pump circuit) I had to idle it for a full 5 minutes with the bleed screw open before it stopped frothing.

Once it stops frothing you can then close the bleed screw and do Citreobics.

If its still frothing after 5 minutes idling with the bleed screw open you must still have a leak.

If you're sure about your hose repair that could possibly indicate the pump itself leaking air :(

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
robzondrumz

Post by robzondrumz »

ooops....forgot about priming! thanks will go out now and try again

rob
robzondrumz

Post by robzondrumz »

I clipped and primed the new hose and ran for 10 mins with the bleed valve open but still getting bubbles thru into the reservoir. Do you think the pump is geting air into it?

cheers

Rob
robzondrumz

Post by robzondrumz »

Someone on another forum said they had the same problem and the plastic flange of the hydraulic pump was cracked. Newer pumps had metal flanges. Cant quite see what mine is, guess I may have to take it off. Anyone heard of this problem?
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

jeremy wrote:Some xantias have a pump on which the inlet pipe arrangement can crack and fall off. Careful inspection may show up a crack.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
robzondrumz

Post by robzondrumz »

What a day! have now taken the hydraulic pump off and it looks in excellent condition. No cracks, bearing good etc. I am getting close to scrapping the car, its an old L reg but engine is fine. Anymore last suggestions?

thanks

Rob