406 AL4 alutomatic gear fault

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jonasy

406 AL4 alutomatic gear fault

Post by jonasy »

406 D9 2.0 A/T gasoline
Hi, how ru doing.
1. My VIN is VF3**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff], which type is my engine? XU10 or EW10?
2. My A/T was in problem of pressure regulation, so I changed two new
solenoid valves(main pressure regulation valve & converter pressure
valve), part code is 2574.16, but old valve code is 2574.10. I've heard
that my ECU is not compatible with new valves(2574.16), I have to update ECU software. (not upgrade ECU yet). So I would like to know:
If not upgrade, what would happen?
My ECU built on 6(June)2001, if it would identify and control new valves?
Normal pressure should be 2.2-2.8bar, after fitting new valves, it is 2.8-
3.05bar, is it normal or any damage for transmission?
thanks
pugxpert

Post by pugxpert »

Hi ,firstly your engine is an xu10 the (ew has engine code rfn). not to sure what will happen if you run gearbox on old software with new valves but i know that the internals of the valves have changed from metal to plastic to stop particles sticking inside the valves,the new type valves are borg warner type,if you go into gearbox ecu there is a screen which shows if ecu is borg warner compatible for solenoid valves. also when you reset oil level @60 degrees once this is done another half litre of oil should be added,later gearboxes have two rings on oil level tube this indicates that it already allows for the extra 0.5 ltr. when downloading gearbox ecu disconnect engine ecu ,sometimes has a problem causing download to crash!! hope of some use.
EP6T petrol turbo nice engine in the 207 GT and the new mini....
jonasy

Post by jonasy »

many thanks

but what mean "borg" warner pls?

if download gearbox ecu, after this, need to downoload engine ecu as well to same software version?
I have changed 3L new oil and reset oil level at 60c, oil was from flow to drop, right? so another 0.5L needed?
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Borg warner is just the manufacturer of the electrovalves.

The injection ECU should always be updated at the same time as updating the autobox ECU.

When you check the oil level you add the 0.5L first ,run the engine up to 60 degrees C,select all the gears then back to park,remove the inner drain plug (with the engine still running),if it flows then drips the level is ok,if it just drips you need to repeat the procedure until you get it to flow then drip.
pugxpert

Post by pugxpert »

if you get your gearbox ecu downloaded of the internet server at your local dealer it will be the latest level which will include the software fix for the new type solenoid valves. Also get your oil wear counter reset.
jonasy

Post by jonasy »

i found one time drain appro. 3L oil, so how many times should do? 3 times?
pugxpert

Post by pugxpert »

add your 3 litres then another half litre run up to 60 degrees and loosen 19mm in centre on drain/level bung if oil does not come out add another 1/2 litre and recheck at 60 degrees if oil flows out let it flow untill no more comes out level is now set. somewhere i have read in a tech letter about adding another half liter on top once level is set but cant find it at the moment.
jonasy

Post by jonasy »

pugxpert wrote:add your 3 litres then another half litre run up to 60 degrees and loosen 19mm in centre on drain/level bung if oil does not come out add another 1/2 litre and recheck at 60 degrees if oil flows out let it flow untill no more comes out level is now set. somewhere i have read in a tech letter about adding another half liter on top once level is set but cant find it at the moment.
dear friend, i mean i wanna try to change out all old oil, but every time, I can only drain out 3L. then i have to add 3L, drain 3L, then add again 3L, then drain 3............... do you think necessary?

besides, can i update ecu in citroen's garage? their diagnostic computer can identify my gearbox and engine ecu.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

you will never get all the oil out,the box holds around 5 litres but you cant fully drain it as the torque convertor still holds around 2 litres.
Any Citroen garage with a Lexia or Proxia machine should be able to update the software as the ECU's are the same,just enter the car in as a C5.
I dont think that adding another half litre after setting the level should be done as the level on these boxes is critical,the tolerance is 0.1 litres
jonasy

Post by jonasy »

i've tried on Proxia with data of c5, can't update
pugxpert

Post by pugxpert »

did you try as xsara ? If still no good you will have to go to a pug dealer the reason it will not download is that the part no ref inside ecu is peugeot not citroen so cannot recognize it to put correct version in.