Amber Bulbs not Lenses

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bbrucez
My Cars:

Amber Bulbs not Lenses

Post by bbrucez »

Took the Xsara for MOT yesterday feeling quietly confident despite presenting the £10 off voucher before the test.
Was rather miffed when I was told all 4 of the indicators were too white but he was probably correct. To avoid failure & retest I let them change the bulbs. Sure enouigh the amber coating had flaked quite a bit off on all of them. What a design flaw - why not stick with amber lenses?
Miffed turned to shocked when he charged me £12 for the bulbs (they're a lot more expensive, guv) & £10 to fit them and then added VAT so my final bill despite discount voucher was £60.02!!
He said he fits hundreds for people like me so buys the bulbs in bulk. Not a bad little earner - makes a change from changing good wiper blades for dubious quality new ones.
Take my advice & stock up when you see them cheap before your MOT not after like I did (99p a pair on Ebay). Even Halfrauds are cheaper than I paid. I bet Trago Mills (in Devon & Cornwall only) are cheapest of all because they are on all other bulbs - anyone know?
Cheers,
Bruce
2001Y C5 2.2HDI
1972K Volvo 1800E
2003 53 Smart Passion
1998S Nissan Skyline GTR VSpec
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

A couple of years ago on MOT I was given an advisory about fading yellow bulbs when I took my Xantia. I changed them in time for the next test. Some designer had a great idea there - a nice little earner!
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Post by rory_perrett »

Not uncommon I'm afraid the coat just drops off, but in contrast at the place I get my cars MOT'd he charges £1 a bulb inc VAT and hands them to you saying, "just fit these lad while I write out the certificate". Probably won't happen now they've gone computerised and the certificate is printed out.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

and you cant even paint 12v21ws amber because who ever came up with this con,made sure the pins are ofset as well as the glass painted amber with no etching to the glass,i think it was the yanks had these first
regards malcolm
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

I haven't done it myself, but surely it would be very easy to make covers out of Cinemoid (or similar theatre lamp filter material) to fit over the faded lamps, which would then last for the life of the car, or until the lamp completely failed.
user_3150
New User
My Cars: This is a dummy account added to fix some orphan posts.

Post by user_3150 »

My mate works at an MOT centre and they also make a killing on bulbs. He said that they used to pass most faded bulbs until they stocked them now they do as above and charge for them + fitting. I would try LED bulbs may be more to buy but they won't fade and will last longer.
j_roc

Post by j_roc »

Bloody hell!!!! A tenner to fit some bulb's, how much do they now charge for a clutch to be fitted??? :evil: :evil: :evil: . Makes me glad that im a mechanic and can do it myself. As I aint had to M.O.T one of my cars since the new test came into force (as far as im still aware of) if your car is still on the premises you should have ASKED for the bulbs for you to fit them there and then - as they need your permission to do any work to the car, either if it fails or not. - Alex
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I'm very sorry to tell you this, but you can get the offset pin amber bulbs from GFS for about 69p!
_kid_

Post by _kid_ »

Peter.N. wrote:I'm very sorry to tell you this, but you can get the offset pin amber bulbs from GFS for about 69p!
Mine failed on exactly the same thing this year, this was a council run mot station which is neutral. I thought he was having a laugh, but sure enough when i took bulb out the external amber coating was flaking off. Went to Halfrauds £4 for two bulbs :evil: fitted them and one immediatly went pop. Went to gsf cost £1.50 for two bulbs and they have the bulb coated internally, much better.

Funnily enough the old bulbs which failed the mot had were Philips, so much for brand quality :(
currently no citroens :-(
1.4 2000 forte now gone too
xantia 1.8i 16v dimension 1996P now gone,
bbrucez
My Cars:

Post by bbrucez »

As their labour rates are the cheapest in my area (£40 p/h) I s'pose he did take 15 mins to fit them which seems about right. I just felt conned but relieved that it passed.
Ironically, the bulbs were original fitting so they had lasted well.
If only they still wrapped Lucozade bottles in amber cellophane!!.
Cheers,
Bruce
2001Y C5 2.2HDI
1972K Volvo 1800E
2003 53 Smart Passion
1998S Nissan Skyline GTR VSpec
Linegeist
My Cars:

Post by Linegeist »

bbrucez wrote:...........If only they still wrapped Lucozade bottles in amber cellophane!!.
Treat yourself to a nice box of 'Quality Street' chocolates ............. they've yellow cellophane wrappers (and red too) :wink:
Regards
Bob
wilkobob
My Cars:

Post by wilkobob »

I cheat even more... I have an orange dry wipe marker pen, and just colour the bulbs in. Hasnt failed me yet!
Gnerk
My Cars:

Post by Gnerk »

I don't own a Xantia, so you can tell me to shut up. However, would one solution be to colour the indicator lenses in amber (as per other cars)? Then presumably doesn't matter if the amber colour comes off the bulbs...
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Gnerk wrote:I don't own a Xantia, so you can tell me to shut up. However, would one solution be to colour the indicator lenses in amber (as per other cars)? Then presumably doesn't matter if the amber colour comes off the bulbs...
Yessssssssssssss, but....
That would look pants!
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

Or...

Smash open the front indicators on a 1993-1998 fraud 'scort. They use clear bulbs, and clear lenses, but have an amber plastic lens that the lamp sits inside. I'm sure a bodge could be put together to use these on a car that needs them. Much cheaper than £25 for a couple of lamps!
This is not a signature.