Xantia gear gaitor

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mcgregor
My Cars:

Xantia gear gaitor

Post by mcgregor »

I would like to change the gear lever gaitor on my Xantia but for the life of me cannot see how you can get the gear knob off to do that. Can anyone tell me
Dave
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

BX and I think ZX just unscrew - very tight!
jeremy
mcgregor
My Cars:

Post by mcgregor »

Thanks. If its just tight its very tight, and basically I'm frightened to put any more force on it in case I break something. It just doesn't feel like it unscrews if you know what I mean.
Dave
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Dont some just pull off?
mcgregor
My Cars:

Post by mcgregor »

I've now tried unscrewing and pulling and nothing seems to work. I really am frightened to try putting any more force on it in case I break the gearchange. Surely someone has replaced or removed a 2001 HDi gearknob at some time.
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

If it has the rign for engaging reverse gear, then it should be a pull type.
Get one of those pliers that have a screw to open or close
get with a pice of rag so not to damage the lever. Secure the lever with it and pull as hard as you can the knob.
mcgregor
My Cars:

Post by mcgregor »

Thanks for the reply, but no it is not a lift up ring to engage reverse. Also the gaitor top seems to be conected in some way to the gearknob, in other words it does not slide down like others I have seen in the past. I can't believe such a simple thing is giving me such grief!!
Dave
wilkobob
My Cars:

Post by wilkobob »

The ZX with the "leather" gear knob is the same as most xantias. The knob does just pull off, but takes some force. It sometimes comes off better if you just twist backwards and forwards and pull. The end of the gear stick is like a "+" shape with "ribs" down it to hold the knob on (thus twisting and pulling usually frees it).
mcgregor
My Cars:

Post by mcgregor »

Thanks very much. That does indeed sound possible. I shall try it as soon as I get time probably the weekend now.
Thanks
Dave
RoadkillUK
My Cars:

Post by RoadkillUK »

I changed mine the other day as it was tatty, cost me a fiver from the scrappies. Haynes says twist a little and pull. I say PULL, worked for me :)
Disclaimer: Don't come crying to me if you break it.