Update: Removing track rod from steering rack

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

inthemicz

Update: Removing track rod from steering rack

Post by inthemicz »

I'm trying to change the steering rack gaiters on my xantia and on the N/S there is a ball joint that attaches to the power steering ram, Does anyone know how to remove this as the gaiter seemed to pass between the two before i removed it.
Cheers
Michael
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Ah, that's a nasty one. You've got two options:
1. Remove the rack, and completely dismantle it, so you can fit the gaiter from the other side of that ram stud (the official Citroen Version) - the gaiter is virtually the first thing fitted when the rack is built[:o)].
2. Get a stretchy gaiter and force it carefully over that stud from the outside. Have heard of somebody using a spoon to protect the gaiter from the stud.
I know which I'd be trying, but neither is going to bbe easy or fun [xx(]
Best of luck....
inthemicz

Post by inthemicz »

Does this not need to be removed then? As the old gaiter came through almost exactly where the green line is and covered the ball joint, also i'm unable to remove the rack from the ram, I can't get it any further off than you see in the picture.
Cheers
Michael
BrianM
My Cars:

Post by BrianM »

If you really need to get this off, then a pair of vise grips will do the job. Lock the sttreing out completely to that side. I had to replace both tie rod on my Xantia because of wear. Its tight to get the grips up there but they will fit in at an angle from below. Once its loosened it will come off easily enough.
Brian
97 Xantia TD
inthemicz

Post by inthemicz »

Can't get it to shift the grips just keep slipping off, any ideas?
Michael
Squareroot
My Cars:

Post by Squareroot »

I had to remove the track rod from my XM and it looks similar to yours, the manual calls for tool 80707-T. This was no longer available to purchase but you could try to borrow one. I made do with a large stud extractor that I made by making a new body and using parts from a Draper stud extractor. You might be able to use a wrench with a pentagon? outer ring and a cam lock to hold the part but you may have to shorten the handle. Good luck.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

they do come undone but it is recomended you fit a new tag washer inbetween it and the rack,as this is made in high tensile steel and undoing the joint damages the washer regards malcolm
inthemicz

Post by inthemicz »

Ok i've got my ram off the rack and got the gaiter, i may not need to remove the track rod.
Here's the gaiter.
and on closer inspection it has a seam on one end.
I was wondering if i split it down this seam i could get the bigger side over the ram connection and attach the smaller side on the other side of the ball joint.
inthemicz

Post by inthemicz »

Ok guys its done i used option 2 of RichardW's suggestion and a lot of swearing!