Xantia Strut Tops Changed!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Xantia Strut Tops Changed!

Post by CitroJim »

I did the job today and put two new strut tops on the Xantia.
No problem at all. It's a straightforward job in all respects as you said it would be Malcolm (Citronut)! 2 spanners in BOL Speak, nooo. 1 I reckon.
I took a picture of the worst of the two. It looks bad but is in fact still very sound. It was a long way off failure I think. No cracks, no distortion, just rust but I was not going to take a chance...
These tips may be useful for anyone else doing the job...
Before you start, make sure you have two 3.5mm hydraulic pipe seals, Sphere seals and some LHM. I also recommed a new set of drop links be on hand too in case they won't play ball when disconnecting them from the strut.
Set suspension on high and firmly support the front of the car on axle stands. Don't take chances, they don't take prisoners, these hydraulic Cits.
Set suspension on low and depressurise.
Disconnect the drop link at the strut, remove the hub pinch bolt that clamps the bottom of the strut to the hub. Loosen slightly (but do not remove) the sphere, hydraulic pipe and strut top nut.
Ease the strut bottom clamp apart using an 8mm Allen key.
Manually pump the strut up to minimum height (full compression) to get rid of as much trapped LHM as possible. leaving the hydraulic pipes and sphere in place but slightly loose will prevent a spray of LHM across the engine bay. Hold the strut at this point with a trolley jack under the bottom balljoint.
Remove the sphere and hydraulic feed pipe, carefully disconnect the strut LHM return pipe at the pipe attached to the wheelarch. Pull gently on the rubber pipe.
Let the jack down a long way now to allow the strut to grow in length and carefully separate the strut from the hub.
Loosen the four 13mm bolts holding the strut top to the wing. Remove three but leave one loose. Grasp the strut and remove the last bolt. Remove strut complete with the top. Pull the gaiter off the strut top.
On the floor, on top of newspaper to absorb any LHM, can be a lot, you'd be surprised. Lay the strut and top and undo the top nut until it is just proud of the top of the threads. Carefully give the nut a good firm wallop with a large hammer to separate the strut from the top. Immediately wrap the tapered part of the strut piston in clean rag to prevent dirt ingress. It will need a good controlled heavy whack to separate the two but be careful not to do damage.
Lubricate the topmost part of the bore in the new top with a bit of LHM (around the two green "O" rings) and reassemble the strut into the new top.
Reassembly is a reverse of the disassembly (in the finest tradition of the BOL). Lubricate the new hydraulic seals with LHM during fitting and do a few Citarobics whilst looking for leaks. Job done.
Sorry for the long post, hope it's useful.
The most difficult job was getting the gaiter back on!
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

jim your car must be of the none activ/activa as you said have two 3.5 pipe seals ready as both of the for mentioned do not have any pipe seals at strut top joint,i found no prob with gaitor replacement as i fitted it with strut in vice,but you must smear sphere seal with LHMso as not to damage it when replacing the sphere regards malcolm
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Yes, absolutely Malcolm. Mine is the non-Activa, non-anti-sink with the little thin pipes into the strut tops.. Looking at your picture of the white one you had with the popped strut I see a much thicker pipe. Was that an Activa then?
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

nop its an activ not activa regards malcolm
Frenchie_SCG
My Cars:

Post by Frenchie_SCG »

Strut tops are due to change on my car as well. I'm looking for second hand ones. Are the tops same for all non-HA models, or I have to look for something specific?
Thanks
davek-uk
My Cars:

Post by davek-uk »

That's a nice write-up Jim - well done. I think we'll all be checking our strut tops regularly from now on!
A few questions for the forum (in order to bump this important topic back up):
1. Are the strut tops standard (HA & non-HA) across the Xantia range as Frenchie asks? How much are they and are they dealer only?
2. Does the BX suffer from the same poor quality strut tops?
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Re: Xantia Strut Tops Changed!

Post by citroenxm »

Reviving a very old topic as its just been discussed and I'd not seen it before, but when I did my strut top swaps, I didnt remove the strut from the hub or remove the drop link... and managed to do it by pressing the strut back into the ram and then pressing down on the hub to clear the top under the wing ...
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto