Xantia Headlights

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

splat

Xantia Headlights

Post by splat »

Does anyone know whether a headlamp from a post-facelift Xantia will fit a pre-facelift '97?
Ross_K
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 VTR+ HDi 1.6
2004 Toyota Prius
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 Twin Spark

Post by Ross_K »

I doubt it - not without changing the bonnet too. They're totally different shape are they not?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

On the subject of headlights. Since owning my Xantia, Saturday night was the first time I'd driven it in proper darkness! Main beam is brilliant but on dip the light output, whilst adequate, seemed well down. A bit like switching between halogen and the old tungsten bulbs of long ago. Is this normal? Beam pattern is excellent though.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Worth having a look at all the connections. Is the dim-dip working correctly?
Sidelights should work normally, put them on and look for small bulb only, then put ignition on - should be brighter with limited output from dip filament, then put on dipped headlights - same filament should glow at full brightness.
Jeremy
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jeremy</i>

Worth having a look at all the connections. Is the dim-dip working correctly?
Sidelights should work normally, put them on and look for small bulb only, then put ignition on - should be brighter with limited output from dip filament, then put on dipped headlights - same filament should glow at full brightness.
Jeremy
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Good point Jeremy, Mine does not appear to have dim-dip. Is that right for a 1993 RP6086 model?
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

The Xantia <i>may</i> not have dim-dip, I think they stopped using dim-dip in the UK from about 1993.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Interesting - perhaps our 94 ZX hasn't got it after all. I've always wondered as on my BX the dip beam warning light glows dimly but on ZX it doesn't. I'll have to have a look at it sometime!
Jeremy
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

If I remember right, it was fitted from about D reg to K reg.
I asked the Dept of Transport about this several years ago, and they said that the EU ruling was that either all EU countries had to adopt dim-dip, or the UK had to stop using it - so naturally it was the latter !
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

To go back to the original post, no, a post '98 headlight definitely won't fit a pre-facelift car.
It is possible to get brighter bulbs, I've fitted Philips VisionPlus in my dipped beam and they're a huge improvement on the standard bulbs. No higher wattage, just more efficient at giving out light.
Osram Silver Star are supposed to be slightly better still, have a look at;
http://www.powerbulbs.co.uk/