bx sinking rear end

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citronut
My Cars:

bx sinking rear end

Post by citronut »

Hi to all those out there that think flushing hydraulic system is fix all be it temp. The true fix for this prob is to replace brake doseur valve with new or factory re/con because rear susp returns through dozer valve, when the seals get worn they cant hold rear susp presure, so it seeps back up through system it dose not appear to make any difference to the normal running of the car, so most people dont have it fixed. regards to all Malcolm
Ian Fearn
My Cars:

Post by Ian Fearn »

Does a knackered Doseur valve have ANY other effects on the system other than rapid sinking of the back end?
My back end drops to the floor within 30mins-1 hour whilst the front sticks right up in the air for at least a day. The front end of mine sticks and jumps like mad despite new struts.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

not that i know of but jumping or bouncing is 99% down to spheres need replacing regards malcolm
Ian Fearn
My Cars:

Post by Ian Fearn »

My spheres are new.
Ride quality is superb. Its only when the suspension is setting itself to the correct level that it jumps. In normal driving its fine.
To me the indications are that something from the height corrector or the corrector itself is sticking??
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

sorry you did say in your firt message you have new struts,sometimes the hight corector linkage becomes drie dose not let corectors do there stuf try lubing it and make sure pivot on rear xle is free regards malcolm
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Changeing the doseur on my BX TD Estate was a complete waste of money - it drops just as quickly now its been done!
BX have high capacity pumps so its not really much of a problem - probably the height corrector anyway.
jeremy
czenda
My Cars:

Post by czenda »

I believe sinking rear is one of the mysteries that will never be solved satisfactorily.
What jeremy said is true (many made the same experience). I think the speed of sinking also depends on temperature, LHM type/condition, car load or God knows what other factors.
There are days when my rear sinks in 30 mins, other when it stands up for a day.
Funny thing is that when I put in Hydraurincage (thinner), the rear sinking was slower than when I replaced the stuff with standard green LHM (thicker) again. I thought it would be the other way around.
However, general opinion seems to be that if the sinking is not happening real fast (say, minutes), it is nothing to worry about.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

when bx hydraulics are in good order they stay up for days it might depend on where your replacment unit comes from and what company re/coed it to how well it was done the rear susp fluid dose return through this also i have herd some people wrongly calling other units by wrong names such as refering to the safty valve on lower rear n/s of frot subframe as doser valve regards malcolm
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

sorry dislecsic moment on my part i ment re/cond
goldfinche
My Cars:

Post by goldfinche »

Hello this is just to say that sometimes it does seem that the sinking depends on the time of the month,the phase of the moon or indeed any thing really. But I have been caught out by a new doseur that leaked worse than the old one (not a trickle but a continous flow in the return.) and a very simple one that was "Air" or I suspect gas from a sphere in the hydraulics which upset things.
Please check the return if doubtful.
Cheers
Geoff.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i think you may be right geoff there is a bleed nipple on the doser valve also if geg/sphere dumps gas into system this can cause this retgards malcolm
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

ps another dislecsic moment i ment reg/sphere
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

My STOP lamp and low brake pressure problems really started when I took out the Hydrorincage and put new "thick "LHM back in, having replaced HP pump FDV and lately PR which seems to have finally cured it, this car stays up for 24 hours just about, the flashing lamp also seemed to be related to temperature and therefore viscosity of LHM, it was better when the car and the weather was warm, moon phase is also likeley to affect the system[:D]
The rear of the car settling is not a fault, its a characteristic.
Jumping is likely to be dry struts, I have performed the Tom cure on two BXs now and it is instantly effective producing a much more supple front end, the drivers side was however still going down in a series of jerks until I tried a tip fron one of our antipodean friends, soak a strip of towelling in gear oil and tie this around the ram under the gaiter, the car now rises and falls smoothly.
Stewart
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i think a lot of probs are caused by people doing things and upseting the systems
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i think when people tinker they cause probs which upset the systems