Citroën Xantias are....

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

kafkaian

Citroën Xantias are....

Post by kafkaian »

....depressingly undervalued.
Having looked through the latest Autotrader, I cannot believe how cheaper still they have become. Time for the C5 to drop an increment or two does anyone think?
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Give it time and it will happen.
Funny suspension with electronics should make them depreciate faster than any that have gone before, the diesel engines are good but you'd never call the thing pretty and they have been heavilly discounted.
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

With the C5 updated, it will probably have a knock on effect on the value of early C5's. This will also mean that the Xantia will also suffer the same fate, and make them more of a bargain. [:D]
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

I also like the look of the rear of the latest C5, as the early one did not have the same rear light design. The latest C5 has more lights on the rear like the Xantia. The early C5 had too little illumination, and lights that looked too small, and plain on this size of car.
Kowalski

Post by Kowalski »

I want a more powerful and more economical engine than the 1.9TD, I also want the same comfort. A C5 2.2 HDI fits the bill.
I'm not bothered what the outside of it looks like since I mostly drive the car from the inside...
Thunderbird

Post by Thunderbird »

Kowalsky,
Remember that the 2.2HDi has the extra expense of the particle filter (every 50kmiles). Take also in consideration that an ECU updated 2.0HDi (updated by software via OBD) matches the 2.2 in performances and is more economical.
Kowalski

Post by Kowalski »

Perhaps it matches it in performance, the 1.9TD can be made to match the performance of the 2.1TD too, I'd still prefer the bigger engine.
The 2.2 is 16 valve, has a bigger clutch and a gearbox engineered to handle the torque and balance shafts too. Its a 2nd gen common rail engine so its smoother and quieter to boot.
There is the question of the Hydractive 3+ suspension, I get conflicting information on which models come with it, some say its the 2.2HDI and the V6, others say the exclusive models only...
The chipped 2.0 would be more econmical than the 2.2 both of them beat the 1.9TD.
I'm sure that the particle filter could be made to disappear or maybe just get given the old straight through broom handle technique and the 2.2 can be chipped to about 180 bhp without breaking stuff.
ScottFromNZ
My Cars:

Post by ScottFromNZ »

I suspect that a nice HDi Xantia will be worth more than a C5 given time. IMHO the Xantia is a prettier car by far and has less electronics to go wrong later.
Thunderbird

Post by Thunderbird »

imho the Xantia mk2 is a better option than the C5 mk1:
- Classic design thar resists time.
- Better seats.
- Better build construction.
- HDi engines basically the same.
- Less electronics.
- Cheaper (if the price was the same, I would still go for Xantia).
I would go for Xantia mk2 or C5 mk2 2.0HDi, if I had the money.
I would forget C5 mk1 and Xantia mk1.
Kowalski

Post by Kowalski »

The Xantia MkII is lighter than the C5 (thus faster), has full power brakes and is available with the Activa system which the C5 isnt, the big downside is the Euro NCAP rating....
The C5's advantages are the 2.2l engine and EBD, emergency brake assist and the availability of Xenon headlights. I'm not sure whether the Hydractive 3/3+ suspension is advantageous. All of the things the C5 has that the Xantia doesn't introduce a load of electronic complexity.
Given the choice (and somebody else paying) I'd go with a C5 MKI over a Xantia MKII. Given that I am paying however, I'll stick with the Xantia MKI for a while yet, then perhaps the C5 will happen when they're cheaper.
I'd agree that the new 16v 2.0 HDI is better than the 2.2, the fuel economy is better whilst the performance is the same.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

I'd rather keep the FAP (particulate filter) and save the lungs of my grandchildren (and everybody elses). With FAP, the PSA HDI is the cleanest engine in the world and many governments are considering making incentives to encourage people to buy them.
//NiSk
Thunderbird

Post by Thunderbird »

Even without FAP the results shoulnd't be bad, as Citroen is now selling the new 2.0HDi engine without FAP and 138Hp (versus the 136Hp FAP version of the same engine). This engine fulfils Euro 4 norms.
Rostami
My Cars:

Post by Rostami »

Thunderbird,
You refer to ODB ECU re-mapping...
Any ideia were I could get more info on that? i feel that the 2.0 HDi has a lot more to give if it wasn´t so strangled!
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Why the FXXX do you want a sixteen valve Diesel? Has it got eight cylinders? DOes it make 7000RPM? If not, there is no, repeat no reason for needing eight of those valves.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Au contraire, Tom. On a TD, the more air you can get in, the more diesel you can burn, and the more power you can get out - provided your turbo is big enough of course! Easiest way to do this without excessive boost pressure, is with 4 valves / cylinder. This also gives the advantage of making the head symmetrical, which allows you to put the the injector in the centre - the ideal location for a direct diesel injector. Of course, whether all this is 'desireable' is open to dicussion, but I sure fancy having a go in the C4 with the 138 BHP 2.0 HDi engine.....!!!
BTW, Kowalski, most C5 2.2HDi drivers report consumption around 40 mpg, so no better than a 1.9 TD Xantia - although it should go better!