Engine Water Leak

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wrinklet1
My Cars:

Engine Water Leak

Post by wrinklet1 »

Hi, I have just found a puddle under my Xantia TDSX. I have looked under the car and it seems that the water is dripping from the centre of the cross-member that carries the steering gear. I hope that it is a hose thats gone and not the head gasket. There is no mayo in the oil filler cap and there isn't any sign of bubbling or bubbles of air coming into the expansion tank. I have to keep topping it up at a rate of one tank full every other day. It drips at a rate of about a tea cup full every hour (a rough guide).
Any ideas you guys???
Paul
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

It'll either be the plastic housing on the back of the engine that collects the radiator and heater returns and acts as the water pump intake housing, or one of the hoses that runs to it. Either way it's a git to change by all accounts - removing the O/S drive shaft is generally the first step!
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

dont think its the water pump housing as it's on the side of the engine. I do need to get under the car as I dont know what hoses run behind the engine.
Paul
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Theres a lot going on behind there in the way of water pipes, given the ability of water to trickle round corners very careful inspection on some ramps is the way to go.
Stewart
weety
My Cars:

Post by weety »

there is a little rubber pipe on the right of the engine (as you look at it from the front) that takes the coolant round the right angle of the engine edge....this leaked on my xantia
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

I will have a look at that hose Weety, I think it may be the one, because a few years agoI had a water leak and I think it may have been the same hose at the front that was leaking, therefore, a good chance that it has given up the ghost and a new one is the way to go.
Paul
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

Found out where the water is coming from.
It's coming from a T joint on a hose that connects to the engine near the turbo, then goes up to the heater matrix and over to the expansion tank Part no 96 144 896.
I also found a diesel pipe leaking from the pump back to the main supply pipes part no 1579 G3
Both pipes are big jobs but at least its not the head gasket!!!
Paul
adzbaby
My Cars:

Post by adzbaby »

Those are both typical Xantia faults, had the 2 same pipes fail on mine when i first got it. The car was doing about 35mpg and I thought something was up! Got the pipe replaced and it went up to 42-45!!
Cost £350 all in at a main delears mind!!! Had to do a lot of miles to make that back!!
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

Just got the fuel pipe, cost was £19.61, the water pipe is £119.81 + VAT, but can get 15% discount off at the Citroen dealers, fickin expensive or what????? GSF + EuroParts dont sell the pipe even though its a common fault. So.... pipe bandage onto pipe and wait for payday to come!!!
Paul
adzbaby
My Cars:

Post by adzbaby »

I went to a scrappie to source the water pipe, but I was a cit newbie at the time and I have a mark I Xantia and on this, the matrix hose has an extra pipe on it which goes to the header tank (absent on all other models) which I was unaware's about so I bought a mrkII pipe for £35 and it was useless, so I ended up paying that extra on top. I was quite sick for a while after that main dealer bill.
I was glad I got someone else to do the job, as it is a fiddly b**tard with the engine in situ, typically there's no room whatsoever.
Hey I could have sold you a matrix hose! ne'r mind.
macs

Post by macs »

I changed both the supply and return fuel pipes on my Xantia 94 TD. I used normal 6mm (maybe 8mm) fuel pipe bought from a motor accessory shop for a few quid. Havn't had any probs with the water pipe yet, but will try using a normal (auto) hose if and when.
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

I am thinking about trying to get some rubber adhesive and strip and re-glue the joints on the water pipe.
Paul
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Don't know if its any help but Halfords and some other accessory shops sell a collection of plastic angle and other hose connectors - so with enough you may be able to repair your existing hose or make up something that will do the job.
Jeremy
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

If the leak's in the actual hose (rather than the T joint), give it a good clean with meths or something similar, make sure it's dry, and wrap it well with decent quality self-amalgamating tape. Warm the joint with a hairdryer or similar, and preferably leave it overnight to fuse. It'll probably outlast the rest of the pipe!
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

Sorted the water leak out. Replaced the 'T' joint that goes to the expansion tank from the hose that goes from the matrix to the lower engine connection. Replaced the 'T' with a piece of copper tube 22mm with a 15mm branch off it ie 22-22-15 brass fitting. Was quite an easy job, costing less than £10, a bit cheaper than the £119.81+ VAT that Citroen wanted. AND, I can replace most od the rubber hoses with copper if needed, now I know the sizes.
Paul