My eBay AX again folks

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

martyhopkirk

My eBay AX again folks

Post by martyhopkirk »

Thought it was the battery.... But put a new one in and whilst it behaved perfectly for a week its doing it again.....
Turn key - all lights on dash light up, glow plug lamp goes out - turn key further and nothing, not a click, nowt.
Repaeat 2 or 3 times, car starts like nothing was wrong. Checked all the wiring I can get at and everything seems sound.
Did do this previously, but rewarded me with a slow "whu....b" of the starter trying to turn (so thought battery was cooked and replaced).
Voltage at battery terminals 14.5V when running and 13.8v when off. cant do a drop test as arms not long enough[;)]
Solenoid?
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Thanks for that Vanny -
Will pick up a starter sometime[:D]
Be seeing you.
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

Marty,
I get the same problem with starting - turn the key, lights dim, and nothing else.
Wiggling the gearstick ( ooh err ) tends to sort the problem, and it may not occurr then for some time - it really is strange.
I think there's an earth problem somewhere, and wiggling the gearstick is shaking the engine / gearbox enough to make the contact - interestingly I have never ( touch wood ) had the car cut-out, so it must be starter electrics related, rather than fuel feed / solenoid area. I wonder if they are on different earth returns ?
When it starts, the starter turns quickly and the engine fires ( except I'm now a glowplug down, I think ), so I think my starter itself is sound.
dan.2cv
My Cars:

Post by dan.2cv »

I had a similar problem with an old fiesta, it was the moulded plug on the end of the ignition feed to the starter. I had to reach down and give it a wiggle and still bear the scar on my forearm from the downpipe. Needless to say a repair kit was promptly fitted.
Go on, now tell me your ignition feed is screwed on with an eye and nut affair.
dan.2cv
My Cars:

Post by dan.2cv »

Ps, paradoxically, I fitted a new starter to my sister's Renault 5 which only needed a battery.......Oh the shame.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Mathew - if the lights dim when you try to start but the engine doesn't turn over, then the ignition switch and solenoid are working as they should. Remaining culprits are the starter motor brushes and the engine earth lead, followed by the battery connections.
//NiSk
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

NiSk,
That was the sort of line I'm following, but the problem is so irregular ( last problem was back in November time ), that I can live with it until summer arrives !
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Sods law says that on the darkest, wettest, coldest, windiest night when its either pooring with cold rain or snowing a blizzard and your are in a crucial rush somewhere, it will give up altogether.
Positive, arn't I?
//NiSk
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Its now chewed up the nearside CV joint.
I am rewarded with a clunk clukn clunk clunk going round bends when powering on.
Guess what I'm up to this weekend then?
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

Great !
If I bring my car accross, will you do my rear arm bearing / subframe as well ?
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

maybe we need to have an inpromptue get together and fix cars! Hmm wonder if i can get insurance for my mums AX, and we could have our own AX get together :D
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

sorry mate but is this AX lemon flavour???. Only ribbing you. If you didn't have this AX you'd only get bored and be under the wifes/girlfriends/partners feet. A bit like myself at the mo.
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Its eBay flavoured - I expected a few niggles, though its beginning to get on me nerves - and the sad thing is every time I fix a bit, it KNOWS Im going to be more likely to fix another bit, so it throws something else at me... GRRRRR!
cheesesliceking

Post by cheesesliceking »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by vanny</i>

maybe we need to have an inpromptue get together and fix cars! Hmm wonder if i can get insurance for my mums AX, and we could have our own AX get together :D
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
sounds good to me!!!!!!!!![:D]
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Guess whats happened now!
Mother in Law reversed into drives side of car last night completely wreking the drivers door - stoved in and nicely creased, window winder now non functioning and door a good inch or two nearer to me when sat in the car.
Not a mark on her 206.
There is simply <i>NO</i> justice in the world.
Will post a photo later - looks like a trip to the scrappers is in order!