Bigger Tyres on a Xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Nomad
My Cars:

Bigger Tyres on a Xantia

Post by Nomad »

Hi All
In Germany we have to have Summer & Winter tyres
My Winter ones are 175/70/14 and the summer ones should be 185/65/14.
Now my question is i have a almost new set of summer tyres from my old Opel Omega @ 195/65/15 would these fit on my Xantia with out fouling anything? i know that i would have to buy new rims but that is a lot cheaper than buy new summer tyres.
Cheers Tony
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Two of my friends run Xantias with 195/65/15 tyres - on original rims (one is a '97 break, the other is a '94 2.0 16 valve), so you should be able to pick up a set of rims from a car breakers and fit your Opel tyres.
//NiSk
weety
My Cars:

Post by weety »

i run 195/65/15 on my estate no problems at all
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

My VSX runs 195/55x15, but there seems a lot of space left in the arches to run a 65 profile; just don't forget the speedo will be a little out...6.38% to be exact!
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

http://www.tyresave.co.uk/tyresize.html
Handy little calculator to work out what tyre size you can sub for the originals - 205 50 x 15 will fit and are used on the Exclusive modlels (BTW - I have a set of very nice brand new Cit Exc Alloys - never fitted [;)])
pwatson
My Cars:

Post by pwatson »

"205x50 x 15 will fit and are used on the Exclusive models"
They are 205x60 on my wife's Exclusive
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

I stand corrected - just realised my mistake after checking the ones on my own car.... Sorry.
Nomad
My Cars:

Post by Nomad »

Hi All
Just an update on this.
Ok as you may know i live in Germany, & my god what a place this is for RED TAPE.
The problem is that tyre sizes for your car are printed on the LOG BOOK for the car, and a tyre shop can not put different size tyres on a car unless i have the log book stamped by the MOT Office. All the MOT office will do is check that the new size tyres don't foul anything, this will cost me £20 :-)
Now as i say the tyre shop will not put them untill i have the log book stamped by the MOT office, but they wont stamp it untill they check to see if they fit the bloody car.
I have had a word with the tyre shop and he has agreed to put one of the tyres on a new bigger rim, which i must buy, then when i leave the shop, i put the new one on myself then take it to the MOT Office for them to check and say yes or no. if they say yes then i go back to the tyre shop and buy the other 4 rims and have the tyres fitted.
So even though you guys have said that they will fit with no problems, i am just checking that different Xantia models don't have different wheel spacers and different size wheel arches (the inside of them) before i splash out the cash.
Cheers all
Tony
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

Later Xantias (Mark 2, + Mark 1 Activas/2.0 Turbo petrols) do have wider front arches/wings as they had a wider track on the wheels which I presume was achieved by having a different offset on the wheels used. (Activas also used 205 size tyres)
If you compare Mark 1 with Mark 2 models from the rear, you will be able to see the difference, particularly when parked side by side.
Having said that, early Mark 1 VSX models were fitted with 195/55/15 tyres in standard wheel arches but the difference in tyre profile MAY cause problems if you have front mudflaps fitted.
I have Citroen 'Contoured' mudflaps fitted at the front with 185/65/15 tyres and there is VERY little clearance between the wheel and mudflap when the steering is turned.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Tony,
Just take a look inside your door jams to make sure there's not a tyre specs sticker in there.
I'm in Australia where public servants are employed to make everyones life a misery and nothing is simple; going to the toilet here even requires 'paperwork' [:D][:D] but my Xantia has two distinct sizes shown as options on this car and this has nothing to do with winter and summer.
For the record, I also used to have a CX that was fitted with 195 X 75 X 14 when it was supposedly to use 175s on the rear and 185s on the front. The only problem I ever had was when I travelled over a winding range and discovered that the outer edge of the tyres rubbed on the inside of the outer edge of the rear guards which was only a problem for following drivers who tended to get lost in the clouds of blue rubber smoke.[}:)][;)]
Alan S[:o)]
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Hi Tony,
Where i Germany do you live? I'm sure that if you nipped over the boarder to one of your neighboring countries you could get the correct wheels and have your tyres fitted without any red tape. Or even find a local car breaker who will sell you some second hand wheels from a later model Xantia.
//NiSk
Nomad
My Cars:

Post by Nomad »

I can do that as i live in Freiburg which is about 30 KM from the French & Swiss boarders, but it is finding the time to go over there and do it, plus i will still need to get them checked by the MOT office so the Log Book can be stamped with the new sizes so as i don't get into trouble with the law if i get stopped or anything.
Cheers
Tony
Oystercatcher
My Cars:

Post by Oystercatcher »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Richard Gallagher</i>

Having said that, early Mark 1 VSX models were fitted with 195/55/15 tyres in standard wheel arches but the difference in tyre profile MAY cause problems if you have front mudflaps fitted.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I ran 205/50/15s on my '94 mk1 VSX (on Citroen UK's instructions) with no problems. Granted they will have a slightly smaller diameter than 55s.
This was to cure an excessive tyre wear problem, where both shoulders were worn down by 7k miles. Citroen said it was my fault for driving on roads with bends (I still have the letter somewhere). A mate who designs his own rally suspensions said it was poor choice of tyre size. The 205/50s cured it, wearing evenly and lasting 25k.
Alan
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Since the Xantia was supplied with 195/65/15 tyres on 15" rims, I can't honestly belive that a flying police patrol or even your yearly car test would even notice the fact, as long as they have sufficient tread on them. It's a real pain to stoop down and read off the tyre size and if they look OK, no one will notice them.
//NiSk
Nomad
My Cars:

Post by Nomad »

Hi
I do agree with you, but knowing my luck !!!
Anyway as for the MOT Test which here in Germany is evry 2 years, this is not a problem as my test comes up in the winter so i would have my standard winter tyers on anyway. I will probally do it the way i mentioned before, buy one new rim and then take it to the MOT Office so they can pass it, the most i will be out of pocket will be about € 40 if they fail it, it they so all is OK i will then get the rest changed.
Thanks for all the advice guys
Tony