white smoke

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

b21playa

white smoke

Post by b21playa »

i get loads on cold start and misfirring
lasts until engine gets warm or a rev it all out
i know the glows were changed in dec 2003 but dont know with which ones (i got it after this)
any ideas wat it cud be
beezer

Post by beezer »

Glow plugs definitely should be investigated. Fuel filter and water trap too. Could be advance mechanism in pump but eliminate the simpler things first.
b21playa

Post by b21playa »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by beezer</i>

Glow plugs definitely should be investigated. Fuel filter and water trap too. Could be advance mechanism in pump but eliminate the simpler things first.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
can u suggest repair methods
how can i check the glow plugs?
i'll drain the fuel filter, but wats the water trap?
wat can i do to the advance mechanism to check it?
beezer

Post by beezer »

Stuff about glowplugs on this thread - I would just replace them with good quality ones - GSF shoould help out there. The water trap is at the bottom of your filter unit so by draining it you will have sorted that. If you have not replaced the filter it is a good idea to do so. The advance mechanism is not easy to sort but leave that until you have eliminated all the easy stuff. My guess is still plugs.
b21playa

Post by b21playa »

i pARKED THE CAR UP LAST NIGH AND JUST STARTED IT AFTER PRIMING USING THE BULB. after a few seconds it goes soft again, doesnt stay hard
AS I WAS PRIMING I COULD HEAR SOME AIR LEAKING, BUT DONT KNOW IF ITS NORMAL
I STARTED IT AND IT WAS MISFIRRING AND WITH WHITE SMOKE, EVEN AFTER 5MINS STIL MISFIRES
HOPEFULLY THIS SHOULD HELP
WAT ABOUT GLOW PLUG TIMER/RELAY?
beezer

Post by beezer »

I forgot to put the link: http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... =glowplugs
If you can hear air escaping then there could be a leak indeed but that should affect at all times. The timer could be at fault - how long does the light stay on for?
b21playa

Post by b21playa »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by beezer</i>

I forgot to put the link: http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... =glowplugs
If you can hear air escaping then there could be a leak indeed but that should affect at all times. The timer could be at fault - how long does the light stay on for?
the light stay on for about 5secs
how long should it stay on and how does it look like and where is it located?
b21playa

Post by b21playa »

beezer

Post by beezer »

Sounds like the light is on for about the right time. Plugs look like the right ones. Good quality too. I would change them and take it from there. Torque should be 22Nm or 16lbf ft.
b21playa

Post by b21playa »

im gonna test them next week
ive got to take the intercooler off anyway to replace the gasket and i will test the resistance of the glow plugs and take from there. i think there might be one or two duffs plugs
b21playa

Post by b21playa »

if i cant get it sorted, is there anyone on the board in birmingham that knows what they are doing and will have a look at it for me?[;)]
a nice drink on me
b21playa

Post by b21playa »

if it was the advanced mechanim in pump, how can i sort this problem out?
i remeber adjusting a screw on side of pump but the revs went high so i turned it back
beezer

Post by beezer »

Probably easiest thing would be to search out a secondhand pump. I am still thinking about the sound of air escaping....air will cause smoke. Early engines had a gizmo not unlike a vacuum advance to look at but it was a wax sensor to adjust the idle speed when cold. It is unlikely a 95 model would have this. In fact, another thread has got me thinking you might have an ECU on your car. If this is the case then adjusting screws on the pump will not have helped.
b21playa

Post by b21playa »

where would the ecu be?
beezer

Post by beezer »

Probably near the battery somewhere. Usually a rectangular box. If you have more than a couple or so wires coming from your injector pump you likely have an ECU (electronic control unit). Do you have ABS brakes?