C4 Grand Picasso: Engine fault message (temporary), service light ON, P1434

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.
point2
Posts: 2
Joined: Today, 01:14

C4 Grand Picasso: Engine fault message (temporary), service light ON, P1434

Unread post by point2 »

Hi everyone.

Recently bought a 2015 C4 Grand Picasso, 2.0 bluehdi auto.
After starting the car, a message comes up "Engine fault: Have the vehicle repaired" but then goes away. The service light comes on and stays on constantly.

I have an OBD2 scanner, it is giving these error codes:
P1434
P0495
P0215
P1199
U1213

I guess P1434 is related to Eolys fluid or its tank. Could it be the one behind it? I do not have access to any specialized Citroen scanners or software.

Is there anything I can do on my own to help clear it?

I guess something better would be, can anyone recommend a person in Ireland - Dublin, Louth or in Meath, who knows their Citroens and can help with this? Trying to avoid the dealership due to costs..

Thanks a ton!
User avatar
Paul-R
Moderating Team
Posts: 9360
Joined: 07 May 2009, 16:24
x 1938

Re: C4 Grand Picasso: Engine fault message (temporary), service light ON, P1434

Unread post by Paul-R »

How many miles has the vehicle done? Do you know how long the error message and light have been on for?

What is temporary? The display of the error message?
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson
point2
Posts: 2
Joined: Today, 01:14

Re: C4 Grand Picasso: Engine fault message (temporary), service light ON, P1434

Unread post by point2 »

Paul-R wrote: Today, 06:35 How many miles has the vehicle done? Do you know how long the error message and light have been on for?

What is temporary? The display of the error message?
Thanks for replying @Paul-R.

It has done almost 200,000 KM. No idea how long they have been on for before i got it.

Yes display of engine fault message is temporary. Once you start the car, after a few seconds it beeps 3 times, “engine fault have the vehicle repaired” comes on for few seconds… then disappears.

Service light stays on and stays on does not go off.

So later on pressing service light these messages come up in sequence:
1. Service in 29700 km or 12 months
2. Emissions control additive range greater than 5000km
3. Engine fault: have the vehicle repaired.
User avatar
Paul-R
Moderating Team
Posts: 9360
Joined: 07 May 2009, 16:24
x 1938

Re: C4 Grand Picasso: Engine fault message (temporary), service light ON, P1434

Unread post by Paul-R »

point2 wrote: Today, 09:31
Paul-R wrote: Today, 06:35 How many miles has the vehicle done? Do you know how long the error message and light have been on for?

What is temporary? The display of the error message?
Yes display of engine fault message is temporary. Once you start the car, after a few seconds it beeps 3 times, “engine fault have the vehicle repaired” comes on for few seconds… then disappears.

Service light stays on and stays on does not go off.
That is normal behaviour for the messages and warning light when there's an error.
point2 wrote: Today, 09:31 It has done almost 200,000 KM. No idea how long they have been on for before i got it.
...
So later on pressing service light these messages come up in sequence:
1. Service in 29700 km or 12 months
2. Emissions control additive range greater than 5000km
3. Engine fault: have the vehicle repaired.
That shows that the service indicator has been reset. Whether or not anything was done is unknown. Is there a service book and has it been filled in? Are there any service bills?

It also shows that the system thinks there is Eolys in the tank. It is unlikely that the vehicle could have reached 200,000 km without being reset. Whether or not any fluid was put in is unknown and, unless there's a bill from a reputable source, you'd need to lower the Eolys tank and give it a shake to see what's what.

At 200,000 km the DPF could need replacing or deep cleaning and this is probably the source of the error messages. A diagnostic session with decent code reader such as Diagbox will give more information. Take note of the descriptions that come with the error (DTC) codes.

Some dynamic readings of the pressure difference across the DPF with the diagnostic machine would be useful.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson
PaulC5
Donor 2024
Posts: 2629
Joined: 06 Jun 2023, 15:26
x 685

Re: C4 Grand Picasso: Engine fault message (temporary), service light ON, P1434

Unread post by PaulC5 »

If not already done, I would delete the fault codes and see what comes back in case some are old ones that were never deleted.
U1213 could be an ABS sensor fault viewtopic.php?t=88829