I have a coolant leak on my Boxer and am wondering if it's something I need to take a look at or if it's okay to just top up with coolant when it drops down.
It leaks around 120-150ml per month.
It can't quite get to see exactly where it leaks out but these are the best photos I could get.
The pipe marked with X in both pictures is the same. The second picture is taken from below.
The coolant runs down above the pipe and then runs on to it. I'm not sure the colour is really from rust, but rather from dirt on the outside of the engine.
Appreciate any thoughts!
Coolant leak on 2.0 bluehdi - is this serious?
-
sneakyfox
- Posts: 31
- Joined: 18 Oct 2025, 21:31
- x 1
Coolant leak on 2.0 bluehdi - is this serious?
2016 Peugeot Boxer 2.0 bluehdi 130 (DW10FUD)
-
mickthemaverick
- Forum Admin Team
- Posts: 21095
- Joined: 11 May 2019, 17:56
- x 8100
Re: Coolant leak on 2.0 bluehdi - is this serious?
There are mixed views on slight coolant leaks. Some say try using a sealant like radweld and others say don't let it near your engine. I would try checking all the hose clips for security and then possibly try a pressure test with the engine off and see if you can spot the weep. 
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
-
myglaren
- Forum Admin Team
- Posts: 28682
- Joined: 02 Mar 2008, 13:30
- x 5673
Re: Coolant leak on 2.0 bluehdi - is this serious?
I certainly wouldn't let Radweld or Barr's Stop Leak anywhere near anything that I owned but Forté Radiator Stop Leak & Cooling System Conditioner is recommended for Citroens and indeed essential for the warranty if fitting a Valeo heater matrix. IIRC I believe that Liquimolly have a similar product.
https://www.forteuk.co.uk/product/radia ... nditioner/
https://www.forteuk.co.uk/product/radia ... nditioner/
-
windy1603
- Posts: 33
- Joined: 30 Jul 2026, 10:24
- x 8
Re: Coolant leak on 2.0 bluehdi - is this serious?
I would not leave it for long as air can get trapped in the head and cause the head to overheat, boiling the coolant which then vents from the header tank.
You may be lucky and its just the gasket on the thermostat housing if not a new housing will be need. Based on my experience not the easiest to change (the clamp bolt on the solid pipe that goes behind the engine is a pain) and they are very expensive I was quoted over £300 from Peugeot got a quality OEM replacement (had the PSA Logo's ground off) for £145
You may be lucky and its just the gasket on the thermostat housing if not a new housing will be need. Based on my experience not the easiest to change (the clamp bolt on the solid pipe that goes behind the engine is a pain) and they are very expensive I was quoted over £300 from Peugeot got a quality OEM replacement (had the PSA Logo's ground off) for £145
-
sneakyfox
- Posts: 31
- Joined: 18 Oct 2025, 21:31
- x 1
Re: Coolant leak on 2.0 bluehdi - is this serious?
Thank you for the replies!
I seems like Forte is not a thing here in Spain but there is this Liquid Moly product: https://www.amazon.es/Liqui-Moly-2533-R ... B01DT5TZ8A
It looks like Wynn's has a similar product too.
I don't think I have the tools to do a pressure test, I guess you need a compressor and fittings for that? So it would probably be a trip to the mechanic in that case.
For what it's worth, after heating up the needle on the temperature gauge sits right in the middle, never moves at all.
I have never seen any liquid or smudge around the header tank. Even if coolant escapes as steam wouldn't it still leave traces there?
It looks like you can get a new aftermarket thermostat for 110€ in Germany: https://www.autodoc.de/fast/22054447
There are more expensive ones too.
I seems like Forte is not a thing here in Spain but there is this Liquid Moly product: https://www.amazon.es/Liqui-Moly-2533-R ... B01DT5TZ8A
It looks like Wynn's has a similar product too.
I don't think I have the tools to do a pressure test, I guess you need a compressor and fittings for that? So it would probably be a trip to the mechanic in that case.
Sounds like it's going to be some work.windy1603 wrote: 25 Aug 2026, 17:10 I would not leave it for long as air can get trapped in the head and cause the head to overheat, boiling the coolant which then vents from the header tank.
You may be lucky and its just the gasket on the thermostat housing if not a new housing will be need. Based on my experience not the easiest to change (the clamp bolt on the solid pipe that goes behind the engine is a pain) and they are very expensive I was quoted over £300 from Peugeot got a quality OEM replacement (had the PSA Logo's ground off) for £145
For what it's worth, after heating up the needle on the temperature gauge sits right in the middle, never moves at all.
I have never seen any liquid or smudge around the header tank. Even if coolant escapes as steam wouldn't it still leave traces there?
It looks like you can get a new aftermarket thermostat for 110€ in Germany: https://www.autodoc.de/fast/22054447
There are more expensive ones too.
2016 Peugeot Boxer 2.0 bluehdi 130 (DW10FUD)
-
PaulC5
- Donor 2024
- Posts: 2605
- Joined: 06 Jun 2023, 15:26
- x 680
Re: Coolant leak on 2.0 bluehdi - is this serious?
The hose clip on the lower photo looks to be missing the screw part that tightens it up if it is a jubilee clip. If so it might just need a clip replacement.
-
sneakyfox
- Posts: 31
- Joined: 18 Oct 2025, 21:31
- x 1
Re: Coolant leak on 2.0 bluehdi - is this serious?
Thanks but I think there is a screw on the opposite side, not visible on the photo. But the coolant is running down from above, probably somewhere on the thermostat housing.
2016 Peugeot Boxer 2.0 bluehdi 130 (DW10FUD)
-
sneakyfox
- Posts: 31
- Joined: 18 Oct 2025, 21:31
- x 1
Re: Coolant leak on 2.0 bluehdi - is this serious?
Went to the mechanic and they confirmed that the thermostat is leaking. They then tested the coolant for gas leaks and confirmed that the cylinders are leaking a bit. The chemical was slowly changing colour to green.
So that's why the thermostat is leaking.
Obviously changing head gasket and seals was not what I was hoping for. Now considering whether to do something about it or not. It's only a small leak after all. They said the pressure leak is unlikely to get worse, but possibly the thermostat will die at some point.
So that's why the thermostat is leaking.
Obviously changing head gasket and seals was not what I was hoping for. Now considering whether to do something about it or not. It's only a small leak after all. They said the pressure leak is unlikely to get worse, but possibly the thermostat will die at some point.
2016 Peugeot Boxer 2.0 bluehdi 130 (DW10FUD)
-
Rp0thejester
- Donor 2024
- Posts: 3297
- Joined: 11 May 2022, 19:54
- x 1068
Re: Coolant leak on 2.0 bluehdi - is this serious?
So basically change the thermostat and everything is okay?
Ryan
'99 Xsara 1.6 X (Red) with Sunkissed bonnet. T59 SBX
'54 Astra Estate 1.7DTI (Artic White)
'06 C8 2.2Hdi Exclusive (Aster Grey)
Champion of Where's CitroJim
Yes I ask the stupid questions, because normally it is that simple.
'99 Xsara 1.6 X (Red) with Sunkissed bonnet. T59 SBX
'54 Astra Estate 1.7DTI (Artic White)
'06 C8 2.2Hdi Exclusive (Aster Grey)
Champion of Where's CitroJim
Yes I ask the stupid questions, because normally it is that simple.
-
Stickyfinger
- (Donor 2016)
- Posts: 11826
- Joined: 28 Mar 2013, 21:05
- x 2000
Re: Coolant leak on 2.0 bluehdi - is this serious?
No Stop-Leak product will stop a pressure leak from the cylinders.....however, I am very surprised that the pressure in the cooling system is not increasing more than it is. Blow-by is not often "leaking a little".
IF it is the case that you have blow-by then it needs doing now. Finding that it needs a new head gasket the way you have and at the time you have allows for a very easy gasket replacement without a head rebuild and other costs generated by a more "violent" event with follow-on damage/contamination.
I would fall on the ... Fix the thermostat leak, refill with clean coolant and Re-Check the head leaking test with a clean/new test kit. If it needs doing OK, if not you waste nothing (even recover the new coolant for re-use)
IF it is the case that you have blow-by then it needs doing now. Finding that it needs a new head gasket the way you have and at the time you have allows for a very easy gasket replacement without a head rebuild and other costs generated by a more "violent" event with follow-on damage/contamination.
I would fall on the ... Fix the thermostat leak, refill with clean coolant and Re-Check the head leaking test with a clean/new test kit. If it needs doing OK, if not you waste nothing (even recover the new coolant for re-use)
sneakyfox wrote: Yesterday, 15:30 Went to the mechanic and they confirmed that the thermostat is leaking. They then tested the coolant for gas leaks and confirmed that the cylinders are leaking a bit. The chemical was slowly changing colour to green.
So that's why the thermostat is leaking.
Obviously changing head gasket and seals was not what I was hoping for. Now considering whether to do something about it or not. It's only a small leak after all. They said the pressure leak is unlikely to get worse, but possibly the thermostat will die at some point.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Dodger
Activa, the Moose Dodger