Drive shaft outer boot

Dedicated to owners of Citroen GS and GSA models.

Moderator: RichardW

Wollop

Drive shaft outer boot

Post by Wollop »

Can any of you very helpful people give me a simple step by step for replacing an outer driveshaft boot? One of ours has fallen apart...

(including removal of the shaft!)

Ta
Stonehopper

Re: Drive shaft outer boot

Post by Stonehopper »

This will be 'fun'. It's been more than twelve years since I last did this job.

After removing the front wheel, remove the drive shaft to hub retaining nut and withdraw the hub from the shaft. This may require removing the lower (or is it upper?) retaining nut from the lower (I think) wishbone for better access.

Now you need to detach the inner end of the drive shaft from the brake disc, using long extensions. Six fixings in all, some are nuts. The drive shaft is now ready to be manipulated out through the sub-frame - it's a swine.

With shaft out, repair to workshop vice. The procedure is basically to separate the outer universal joint so as to replace the gaiter using greased screwdriver(s) to ease it over the end of the shaft.

And as they euphamistically say: 'Refitting is the reversal of dismantling'.

The images (assuming I can remember how to insert them!) are one page from the official Citroen workshop manual 008102, and Autobooks 278 by David Penn.
IMG_20240615_0001 (Medium).jpg
IMG_20240615_0002 (Medium) (Medium).jpg
Derek
myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

Had to do this several times on our GS, back in the eighties. Never a fun job.
Wollop

Post by Wollop »

Thanks for the diagrams, this certainly looks like a fun way to spend an afternoon.

Will report back in due course.