Peugeot 206 (2004) replace radio

This is the RT3 unit and was made by Magneti Marelli
The RT3 was available in a few different hardware versions, the later ones supporting MP3 playback. These units had an optical connection to the Display Screen.

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

pajeffery

Peugeot 206 (2004) replace radio

Post by pajeffery »

I have a Peugeot 206 (2004) and I'm interested in upgrading the existing radio.

The radio us currently fitted with a Magneti Marelli RT3 unit, this comes with a quadlock connection instead of the standard ISO connection.

I bought a kit from Connects2 that I thought was going to be compatible with my car but unfortunately it isn't, they have said they don't provide any support for my specific make/model.

I have seen conversion adapters that allow you to convert the quadlock connection to ISO standard but I'm assuming if I use this the steering controls and dashboard display aren't going to work - I think it was just a bonus that they would work anyway so not the end of the world.

Does anyone have any advice/guidance?
Last edited by GiveMeABreak on 30 Apr 2024, 20:06, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to RT3 Telematics Forum
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: Peugeot 206 (2004) replace radio

Post by GiveMeABreak »

The RT3 as you may have gathered is more than a radio....

It is a telematics unit that interfaces with the car's systems to provide access to vehicle options, sat nav, phone and MP3 music (via MP3 CD) as well as providing vehicle trip computer info.

If you take this out, expect to loose all this and the display.

Most if not all PSA vehicles use a Quad lock connector to hold the various wiring blocks together in one main connector.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
pajeffery

Post by pajeffery »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 30 Apr 2024, 20:07 The RT3 as you may have gathered is more than a radio....

It is a telematics unit that interfaces with the car's systems to provide access to vehicle options, sat nav, phone and MP3 music (via MP3 CD) as well as providing vehicle trip computer info.

If you take this out, expect to loose all this and the display.

Most if not all PSA vehicles use a Quad lock connector to hold the various wiring blocks together in one main connector.
Thanks for the reply, I'm guessing there are a few different RT3 variations - Mine definitely doesn't come with sat nav or phone (Or if it does I need to check the instruction manual)
This is what it looks like
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Yes it will. The RT3, regardless of the visual look is the same system.

Remember, the RT3 is 20 years old now, so won't have a Bluetooth phone or any Bluetooth connection. It uses a SIM card, which you can see to the right side which is the vertical black slot. Once you take this out (by pressing in the little hole above the vertical black card with a cocktail stick to eject it) you can insert a SIM card for phone operation (The RT3 has a built in phone). The Red slot on the other side is for contacting emergency services (only when you have a SIM card is inserted on the other side as I just explained), so don't press that or you'll likely get the emergency services coming through.

Navigation only works when you have the Navigation CD inserted into the CD slot. Yes, it runs direct from the CD, so won't show up on the display until there is a valid RT3 Navigation ROM inserted.

If you don't have a manual, here's a PDF of one:

RT3 Manual

Marc
pajeffery

Post by pajeffery »

Thanks for that, it was definitely advanced for it's time.

Do you think I would regret replacing the stereo and losing this functionality? I didn't think it would be a major issue but happy to be told otherwise.

My main aim is to get Bluetooth so I can listen to music and talk on the phone.

Would this be a simpler alternative: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/314150740640 ... media=COPY
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

No, because that is only for RD4 systems (basic units), and you have a full telematics system.

You may want to consider something like the following designed for the RT3:

https://www.xcarlink.co.uk/peugeot-rt3- ... rintable=Y

Beware there are 2 versions of RT3 (as per the photos above), a CAN and a VAN version. This is critical to ensure you have the correct type as the electronic architecture is very different and they are not interchangeable.

The link above is for the VAN version, but at the bottom of the page is a link to the CAN version of the interface. The photo above shows you which type you have by looking at the red circled buttons on each which have a different function.

Marc
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

pajeffery wrote: 01 May 2024, 02:46My main aim is to get Bluetooth so I can listen to music and talk on the phone.

Would this be a simpler alternative: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/314150740640 ... media=COPY
Looking at the advert it only mentions music and not phone calls.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

That just won't work on RT3 Paul.

Marc
pajeffery

Post by pajeffery »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 01 May 2024, 10:03 No, because that is only for RD4 systems (basic units), and you have a full telematics system.

You may want to consider something like the following designed for the RT3:

https://www.xcarlink.co.uk/peugeot-rt3- ... rintable=Y

Beware there are 2 versions of RT3 (as per the photos above), a CAN and a VAN version. This is critical to ensure you have the correct type as the electronic architecture is very different and they are not interchangeable.

The link above is for the VAN version, but at the bottom of the page is a link to the CAN version of the interface. The photo above shows you which type you have by looking at the red circled buttons on each which have a different function.
Thanks for the information, I had come across Xcarlink but also spotted the price, was hoping I could go with a cheaper option - But you get what you pay for.

Xcarlink does look like the best option, the steering wheel remote and dashboard display all work as normal, plus installing is much easier.
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 01 May 2024, 10:59 That just won't work on RT3 Paul.
What won't work? I'm pointing out that the advert doesn't mention phone calls, only music.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Paul-R wrote: 01 May 2024, 12:22 What won't work? I'm pointing out that the advert doesn't mention phone calls, only music.
That interface won't work - it's for RD4 systems, not RT3 so what is supports is irrelevant, which is what I said in my first response....
RD4.png
I'm trying to avoid the OP wasting time on things that are not even compatible.

Marc