Risk of filter clogging

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

cncjeff1
Donor 2023

Risk of filter clogging

Post by cncjeff1 »

Greetings,
I hope that I am in the right place. I have a 2016 Citroen Berlingo Multispace, 1.6 Blue HDI 100, VIN VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]. Car dealers (in general) here in Israel are not at all helpful. They absolutely refuse to provide any part numbers, and they have recently increased the charge for any kind of computer check to approximately 320 GBP. And that is just for the diagnostic.
For the last couple of months, the triangle LED , and engine LED come on intermittently with the above message. Engine RPM is limited to 3,000. Given that my typical drive includes a climb of 750 meters from sea level (almost 2500 feet), it is a real drag. My mechanic has tried chemically cleaning the converter, and repeatedly forcing regeneration. This is surprising, because on a typical day I drive a minimum of one hour at 130-140 kph. It should be regenerating on it's own. Sometimes I can travel several hundred km before the problem returns, sometimes less than 100. Now he suggests sending the converter to a specialty shop for cleaning (350+ GBP not including removal and reassembly, just cleaning). This being on top of replacing the urea pump and the FAP pump both (by the dealer) in the last two years. First question: Should I just bite the bullet and replace the converter? Follow-up questions: Exactly what is the catalytic converter part number? Does it include the DPF? What is the actual engine designation? Sorry for being so long-winded, but I was hoping that if I was thorough, I might get a more complete answer. Also, please advise if this should have gone in the Citroen forum. Thanks in advance.
Additional note, a few mechanics with whom I have spoken have offered to disable the entire urea, FAP, DPF system in the ECU. They want around 750 GBP which would solve the immediate driveabilty problems, but no one can guarantee that I will be able to pass the annual test required for license renewal.

Best Regards,
Jeffrey
Last edited by GiveMeABreak on 19 Mar 2024, 20:51, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed Excess Serial Numbers (Not Required)
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: Risk of filter clogging

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I'd advise against any crippling of the emissions system as you'll end up with more problems most likely, apart from failing emissions, no doubt as you've mentioned and we don't support that on this Forum (Please refer to the Forum rules (AUP))

What we really need is the actual fault codes to see what the issue is. Any limiting of the engine speed will be due to a backup mode instigated by the engine management system. Without any fault codes, we can't really advise.

What I can tell you though is that your vehicle has an outstanding after-sales campaign for the timing belt face parts. This should be free of charge work via the dealer, just quote the reference HCJ.
HCJ - Timing belt
The operation involves replacing the timing front face parts.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
cncjeff1
Donor 2023

Post by cncjeff1 »

I hope to have the fault codes tomorrow. I will update then. Any luck on the converter part number?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

If you can keep all future parts requests in the official thread that will help me avoid missing requests: :wink:

viewtopic.php?t=69962
cncjeff cat.png
(10) Catalytic Converter, part: 9823467180, £1,094.90

Note that on this vehicle the Particle filter is not contained within the CAT assembly, but separately further down the vehicle shown at (21).

I have to say that this would be the first I've heard of the Cat going in such a relatively recent vehicle.... or many others for that matter, so I think you're barking up the wrong tree, but any or all fault codes really are essential.

Marc
PaulC5
Donor 2024

Post by PaulC5 »

If you are having to pay somebody to read the fault codes you would be better off buying a code reader that does live data. A low cost one for around £40 should read ones that put on the engine management light and read some live data but for anything more elaborate a lexia, etc will be needed.
cncjeff1
Donor 2023

Post by cncjeff1 »

Paul, Will the Lexia also allow me to turn devices on and off? Can I force a DPF regeneration? What model Lexia do you recommend?
cncjeff1
Donor 2023

Post by cncjeff1 »

These are the fault codes attached.
Berelingo faults_WhatsApp Image 2024-03-20 at 11.45.38_e2893e2d.jpg
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

The presence of fault code: P2452 may require an update of the engine management software.

The other faults refer to clogging of the particle filter, so nothing here to do with the catalytic converter. Your particle filter is inside item 21 in the previous diagram. How many miles has the vehicle done and are the normal journeys short stop and start journeys? If so, these may be prohibiting the regeneration of the particle filter, or the regeneration process may be getting constantly interrupted. So it may be the particle filter is one issue, but your engine problem and speed limitation will be due the problem with No 1 injector.
Fault Code: P02CD 00
Description of Fault: Combustion of cylinder N° 1: Correction of the quantity of fuel injected insufficient. The diesel injector number 1 resetting strategy has reached its upper limit.
Conditions for Fault to clear: The following conditions have to be met:
- After switching the ignition off and then back on
- Driving for 5 minutes
Downgrade Modes whilst Fault is active: -
Symptoms:
  • Lack of power
  • Hesitation / Vibration
  • Engine hesitating, cutting out
  • Absence of automatic stopping of the internal combustion engine
  • Activation of the cruise control or speed limiter function impossible
  • Deactivation of the cruise control
  • Deactivation of the speed limiter
  • Starting problem
  • Fluid leak/smells (diesel fuel, oil, etc.)
  • Malfunctioning of the engine when idling
  • Growling/whirring/booming
  • Banging/knocking/creaking
  • Crackling / Sputtering / Knocking
Suspect Areas:
  • Diesel injector N°1
  • Electrical harness

Marc
cncjeff1
Donor 2023

Post by cncjeff1 »

The engine management software update is strictly a dealer activity, correct?
The vehicle has almost 190,000km on the clock. Typical journey is 10-20 minutes city driving to reach the highway, then 60-150 km highway driving at speeds of 110-130 kph, followed by another 10 minutes of local driving, followed by 2 hours parked, and then the whole thing in reverse. I drive very little in the city.
Could the particle filter issue be the cause of the #1 injector problem?
What is the part number for #21 that contains the particle filter?
Shouldn't a minimum of 30 minutes driving at 100-130 kph, be enough to complete the regeneration?
Should I be changing the #1 injector, or be checking something related to it?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Yes, practically a dealer job. At that mileage. your DPF is certainly near end of service life, so needs a deep clean or replacing.

No, the DPF has nothing to do with the injector fuel supply - this is a separate issue.

Remember the particle filter burns off the particulate matter (soot) and converts this to ash. Over time the ash which cannot be further burned will clog the filter, along with the Cerine deposits that cannot be burned off.

New OEM Particle Filter, part: 9810717180, £883.85
Exchange Particle Filter, part: 1616515180, £600.19

Marc
cncjeff1
Donor 2023

Post by cncjeff1 »

Marc,
My vehicle registration lists my engine as BH02, but all of the engine designations appear to be DV6 variations. According to my VIN, which engine do I have? If I knew, I could be less of a pest.
I recently celebrated (?) my seventy-first birthday. I was born and raised in Detroit, MI, fondly known on that side of the pond as the Motor City. I have "wrenched" almost 60 years. It's what we did there, although at this point I am seldom inclined to actually get under the car. It wasn't until I moved half-way across the world (at the age of 52) that I even saw a car with a diesel engine, and since I never drove a truck or a tractor, I never had the need to learn. I appreciate the depth of you knowledge.

Best Regards,
Jeffrey
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Hi Jeffrey

You have a DV6FD (Euro 6) engine. :-D Your engine code is BHY.

I'll send you an email with your factory vehicle specifications for reference. :wink:

Marc